All,

Our IT department has informed us that they will only support/install the most recent version of Acrobat Pro.  Since we do not have admin rights on our machines, we cannot continue to move older licensed copies of Acrobat Pro to new computers as the staff get them.  And it looks as though Adobe plans to terminate their "perpetual" (ha!) licensing scheme for Acrobat Pro in 2025.  End result: in the not-too-distant future we'll be forced to pay annual subscription fees for Acrobat Pro, to the tune of $110/person/year.

That adds up pretty quick, so I'm looking into alternatives.  A handful of staff use the more advanced features of Acrobat Pro, but the vast majority of them are doing very basic things: adding a bit of text here or there, running OCR on a scanned article, inserting a copyright notice page at the front, that sort of thing.

What software are you all using at your libraries for these sort of tasks?

Will Martin

Head of Digital Initiatives, Systems and Services
Chester Fritz Library
University of North Dakota
he/his/him

701.777.4638