I've been using a personal copy of PDF Xchange Editor Plus (
https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor) for about 5
years. I initially paid for a license just to digitally sign one document
but was impressed with its capabilities and continual bug and feature
updates. (Long time code4libbers might be shocked that I have paid for a
piece of proprietary software!)

It offers various licensing options, all of which are far less than Acrobat
Pro (e.g. Editor Plus + 3 years of support = $91.60 USD). And it has solid
OCR, a good accessibility checker, bookmarks & ToC support, etc etc. When
your support term runs out, you can continue to download and run the last
version in perpetuity.

Finally, you can download a "portable" version that should enable you to
sidestep your IT department's iron fist.

It might be worth piloting one or two individual licenses to see if it fits
your organization's needs? I'd love to hear what you end up doing.