PDF actually has encryption as part of the standard, so I would recommend searching in the help for whatever PDF tool you’re using, as it’s more likely that whomever you send it to will be able to unencrypt it.  They should be prompted for a password when trying to open the file, rather than converting it to an unencrypted form (which might defeat the purpose of encrypting it, unless you only cared about while it’s in transit)

It might also be called ‘protect with password’ or ‘security’.

There’s also a concept of an ‘PDF envelope’ in which the document is just an encrypted collection of other documents to be protected, but after having sent those to doctors and their not being able to access the individual files, I’d have to recommend instead encrypting each one individually.

-Joe

Sent from a mobile device with a crappy on screen keyboard and obnoxious "autocorrect"