On Apr 15, 2023, at 10:57 AM, charles meyer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm curious what factors influence you in choosing to create a Word file versus an Excel spreadsheet or vice versa?

If I have to derive values from other values, then I use a spreadsheet, as I can set up formulas.

If I need to do formatting for portions within a cell, rather than the cell as a whole, I might use a table within a word processing document.

And if it’s relatively small, simple data within a larger document, then I’ll probably just stick with the word processor.  Especially if it’s not likely to change much.

If there are times when I need to track values that won’t be given to the end user (because they’re the basis of calculated values), then I’ll use a spreadsheet with hidden values or a database.

If I need to graph the data, then I’ll use a spreadsheet.

If I need to do dynamic formatting (eg, automatically color negative values in red), I’ll use a spreadsheet or a database depending on how large/complex the data is.

If I’m going to need to run aggregate functions against the data (averages, counts, min/max), so will only be reporting on some concept other than the rows of the table, then I’ll use a database.

Honestly, for what you’re doing, I might even use neither.  I’d set up contacts in an address keeping program, and export vCard so most people with a cell phone could just suck it in use it rather than have to type the numbers in themselves.

I do like the idea of putting it on Google sheets or similar hosted service, too, though.

-Joe