…

> I have Acrobat Reader free. Nothing else Adobe related. I've never tried
> encrypting in Acrobat Reader.

I don’t know if reader can modify files to encrypt them or not.

> Once they are sent is there a way in gmail to then delete ONLY the attached
> statements but NOT the mail message sent to that person?

There are some websites that used to exist where you’d put the files there so someone would download them and then after it was downloaded it would disappear… but the person still had to download it, so there was a chance of a copy remaining.

The only way that I know of to lock someone out of files after a given period is with DRM (digital rights management, like what they do with songs and applications downloads through online marketplaces).

I’m not aware of any that exist for the general masses to use, however.

(I once made a suggestion that one should exist, so if someone shared indiscreet pictures with a significant other, they could then lock them out should they ever break up, to reduce the chance for revenge porn.  I think I had suggested it on slashdot, which had a very anti-DRM base at the time, so I got criticized for even suggesting it.  Your use case for passing documents to an account to do your taxes or whatever might be a better one if someone wanted to make a business of it)

-Joe