You can certainly do it in GIMP and others have mentioned ways to do it in other software. But when you say "so I can fit more graphic images on the page" do you mean you're embedding it in a Word document, or on a webpage? Because in either of those cases you can simply scale the image in situ.

Eg in Word, when you insert an image, it should come with 'dots' on each corner and edge. Click on a corner dot and drag to the desired size - it'll keep the height:width ratio intact. (Whereas if you click an edge dot, it simply changes that dimension so distorts the image.)

Deborah

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of charles meyer
Sent: Saturday, 6 May 2023 4:21 am
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Graphics - modifying

Caution: This email originated from outside our organisation. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

My esteemed lisstmates,

I have a PNG file. In that I have a design which I'd like to make smaller so I can fit more graphic images on the page.

I don't have Photoshop, Adobe Creative Suite or that kind of advanced software.

Has anyone  reduced the size of a grpahc in a PNG using free software?

MS Publisher? MS Paint? Paint.net? 3D Paint? Canva? GIMP? Irfanview?

Thank you so much.

Charles.

Charlotte County Public Library

"The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) may be confidential and/or subject to copyright. Any unauthorised use, distribution, or copying of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by return e-mail or telephone and then delete this e-mail together with all attachments from your system."