Code4Lib,

My campus has begun a process to do student IDs with a cell phone app, and
to phase out physical student IDs.  The cell phone app will basically work
on RFID.  For the checkout desks, main campus will provide RFID scanners.
So, equipment is identified for service desks.

A situation that the Libraries will need to find a solution for is this:
 Our main campus has an attendance system for events.  The Libraries can
scan the barcode on physical IDs, using an inventory barcode scanner.  But
as we are seeing more and more students with the cell phone app, we need a
mobile way to scan RFID.  (The cell phone app does not have a barcode; it's
RFID only.)

Do any of you all have RFID for student IDs, and if so, what are you using
to scan this "in the field" like at events, workshops, and outside of the
library, where you may need something more portable than would be needed at
a desk?
Is there an easy peripheral that I can get for an iPad, or anything that's
reliable and portable to scan RFID in the field?

Best,
-Wilhelmina

Wilhelmina Randtke
Head of Libraries Systems and Technologies
Zach S. Henderson Library
1400 Southern Dr.
Statesboro, GA, 30458
(912) 478-5035