> On Jun 5, 2023, at 5:56 PM, charles meyer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> My esteemed listmates,
>
> I create simple graphics for instructing step-by-step learning of 3D software.
>
> I generally use MS Paint so I can just insert and easily modify arrows and a text box.
>
> What's bothersome is once I create a text box and type in text if my finger slips and the slashes around the text box disappear it's hard wired in.

There are two main types of image editing software:

Painting programs modify individual pixels in a bitmap image (although they may treat them as multiple layers and then flatten them when saving out in standard interchange formats)

Drawing programs work in lines, and so you can move elements around as needed, change how they stack (which items are above other items, etc)

For marking up images, if you think that you’re going to need to change the labels, I would recommend a drawing program.  You would import the screenshot as an object, then place whatever marks and labels on top.

If you have Microsoft Word, you might also have PowerPoint.  It’s not as fully featured as software like Visio, Illustrator, or even OmniGraffle, but it should do what you need.

And as you’re working on a series of images if you’re doing step-by-step, it might actually be better for what you’re doing.

-Joe