…

> Has anyone found any "go-to" forums for DIY'ers?

I usually check iFixIt.com first.  They started out as laptop repair (specifically Apple stuff), but have branched into other electronics.  It can be hit or miss, but when they have a repair guide, they’re usually very well done.

… and for that question that you mailed directly to me this morning, it seems that my Gmail doesn’t like that I don’t have SPF set up on my domain, so the reply bounced.  I’d recommend trying one of:

1. Your state or county State’s Attorney, as they often deal with consumer issues (but possibly only for specific types, like medical)
2. Contacting the local TV news, especially if they have a ‘watch out for this scam’ type segment
3. The FCC, as they regulate wireless carriers: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/filing-informal-complaint

-Joe