I do agree with the quoted passage, and I have been thinking something similarly in every conversation that goes something like "our website should be more like [Amazon]" (fill in brackets with other examples). And I consider it every time I reluctantly renew my streaming services subscription in which I've made a "purchase" of some content that I don't actually get to keep. I also consider it regularly in the conversation about publishing research data and the value and cost of sustaining and preserving our local research data repository vs licensing a commercial product. Because it is becoming more and more difficult to accomplish what we set out for with the constraining resources we are fighting for, and our collective ability to collaborate is becoming strained in the process. Having such a large endowment as the Internet Archive has creates more opportunity to build strong and sustainable solutions.

The subsequent lawsuit filed against the Internet Archive on their digitization and preservation of sound and moving image recordings is even more frightening to me because many of our libraries are doing the very same work. The mention of this is nearly buried in the end of the article, but it is clear to me that the plaintiffs are emboldened by this first judgment. I happen to believe that the IA has a better chance of winning in the upper courts because I believe this judgment has over reached, particularly in the statement that if a licensed opportunity exists, libraries cannot digitize. That is market harm against libraries who already made a purchase, and the IA may need more amicus briefs attached in the appeal to make that case.

From my experiences and observations, while I agree with the quoted passage, I wonder if libraries have the will to return to the original form? It is clear no one library can do it alone, and no small consortium of a dozen libraries can do it together either. There have been and continue to be a multitude of attempts, yet we collectively continue to be drawn to the marketplace instead. That allure is strong, so strong that even a not-for-profit worldwide membership organization finds that model to be more attractive than what the Internet Archive has set out to do. The IA is not without its faults and failures, too, but I find their persistence to remain true to their vision admirable. Perhaps the reality is that we (libraries) need to acknowledge our limitations in scope and return to form specifically in the contexts we can, and let go of the aspirational goals of being just like the marketplace or competing with pieces of the marketplace?

Tim

Tim McGeary

Associate University Librarian for Digital Strategies and Technology

Duke University Libraries

________________________________
From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Eric Lease Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2023 11:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [CODE4LIB] what does it mean to own a book?

What does it mean to own a book?

That was the headline of an article from this past Sunday's edition of the New York Times. For the most part, the article was about Brewster Kahle's legal troubles with publishers, and the differences of owning physical books versus licensing digital items.† The following snippet struck a chord with me:

  Librarians came before publishers," Mr. Kahle, a 62-year old
  librarian, said in a recent interview in the former Christian
  Science church in western San Francisco that houses the
  archive. "We came before copyright, but publishers now think
  of libraries as customer service departments for their database
  products.
  ^^^^^^^^

I have heard such a sentiment from a few fellow librarians, and from my point of view libraries are increasingly and merely fiscal middlemen between publishers and patrons. This is at the cost of not really creating collections nor preserving the historical record. Furthermore, I don't believe the current situation is sustainable, and when it finally breaks down, we will have nothing to show for our cash expenditures. Think of all the money we spend towards licensing fees. Sure, licensing offers convenience, but if that same money had been invested in actually acquiring the content, then we would have not only had something to show for it, but we would have also increased our skills so other content could be collected.

Now, pretend our mailing list is Library Seminar 504, and ask yourself, "To what degree do I agree with the quoted passage? Why or why not?"

† As you may or may not know, Brewster Kahle runs the Internet Archive.

--
Eric Lease Morgan <[log in to unmask]>