This https://github.com/FLVC/offline-ingest will take load packages and
make Islandora 7 objects from them.  It can ingest METS XML and make JSON.
Not JSON-LD, just JSON.  End user instructions on that load process are
here
https://web.archive.org/web/20190517152613/https://fig.wiki.flvc.org/wiki/index.php/Creating_Content_Objects#Offline_batch_ingest
.  Basically, it takes the METS and makes JSON for a table of contents in
the Islandora book or newspaper module.

JSON is easier to quickly work with for programmers.  The METS XML
standard is a standard.  The batch load tool was made to handle a Digitool
to Islandora migration process and also to allow batch loading for
universities doing high volume loads.  In retrospect, building out tools to
be able to later edit the table of contents in JSON was harder to do than
with METS XML, because of not having the standard to refer to.  In
retrospect, it might have been better to store info in METS XML and use
that directly, rather than use JSON.  Maybe, with JSON-LD and identifying
somewhere where the kinds of relationships you need are already defined in
a standard, you will have a clearly defined standard, or you will focus on
defining and publishing your standard, so that you can refer to the
standard to build out tools to edit and update later, instead of having to

-Wilhelmina Randtke