I hereby dub this technique "Stochastic Pseudonymization" :-)

Here's a quick implementation.
https://colab.research.google.com/gist/rayvoelker/74278aa82ee95e3c6dbf0caa993f1ebe/stochastic_pseudonymization.ipynb

I think the trick is of course picking a number of bits in order to
sufficiently cover the size of your patron population, and to introduce
this chance of collision into your data--in order to as Steve put it, "...
to leave a *modicum of deliberate uncertainty*, introduced by hashing
collision, to keep it from being possible to prove that any one patron had
some specific behavior in the past".

--Ray

--
Ray Voelker