**Apologies for cross posting**

The National Information Standards Organization (NISO) Tech Summit tackles the big challenges as well as the smaller speed bumps that impede the information community’s progress in building more efficient and effective digital information environments. This year’s program focuses on the tools and systems supporting open science.

NISO Tech Summit | Virtual Event
Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 10:00 am–1:30 pm EDT (US/Canada)
Thursday, October 26, 2023, 10:00 am–1:30 pm EDT(US/Canada)

In January, the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) declared 2023 the Year of Open Science. As we approach the conclusion of this pivotal year, NISO’s Tech Summit: A Reflection on the Year of Open Science will convene to review progress and consider the challenges and prospects facing the content providers, service providers, and platform hosts working to make research more transparent and accessible.

Split over two days, the program features speakers at the vanguard of open science. They will ask and answer questions about how organizations and systems responded to the declaration, what worked well, what needs improvement, where the opportunities lie, and what complications need resolution as we move forward. The first day of programming will take a high-level approach, reviewing ambitions and realities, while the second will take a deeper dive, comparing the United States’ practice to European efforts, the cultural implications and complications of openness, and a practical assessment of the tools and systems needed.

Agenda and Confirmed Speakers (Other Speakers TBA)

Day One

Big Picture

10:00–10:15 am: Welcome (15 minutes)

10:15–10:45 am: Keynote: State of the Industry: 2023 The Year of Open Science

10:45 am–11:45 pm: Mapping Progress: Reflections and Charting Future Pathways

Moderator: Greg Tananbaum, Director, Open Research Funders Group

Speakers: Mark Hahnel, CEO and Founder, Figshare, and Keith Webster, Dean of University Libraries, Carnegie Mellon University

11:45 am–12:00 pm: Q&A

12:00–12:15 pm: Break

12:15–12:45 pm: Empowering Research: A Publisher’s Perspective on Open Science

12:45–1:15 pm: Bridging Academia: Open Science at HELIOS

Speaker: Caitlin Carter, Program Manager, HELIOS

1:15–1:30 pm: Debriefing and Paving the Way: A Moderator’s Perspective

Speaker: Greg Tananbaum

Day Two

Application/User Impact

10:00–10:15 am: Welcome and Setting the Stage for Deeper Discussion

10:15–11:15 am: Navigating the Open Science Landscape: International Engagement, DEIA, and other Considerations

11:15–11:30 am: Q&A

11:30–11:45 am: Break

11:45 am–12:45 pm: Enhancing Open Science: Assessing Tools & Charting Progress

Moderator: Jason Griffey, Director of Strategic Initiatives, NISO

Speaker: Sarah Lippincott, Head of Community Engagement, Dryad, Nicole Pfeiffer, Chief Product Officer, Center for Open Science, Howard Ratner, Executive Director, CHORUS

12:45–1:00 pm: Q&A

1:00–1:30 pm: Closing Reflections and Envisioning the Future

See the NISO website for more information and to register. Discounts are available for NISO Voting Members, LSA Members, and LSA Consortia Members. Recordings will be available for those who cannot attend the live broadcast(s).

We hope you’ll join us and add your voice to our review and discussion of the state of open science. In the meantime, be sure to visit our event page for updates on programs and speakers.

Best wishes,

The NISO Team

NISO
3600 Clipper Mill Road, Suite 302