Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced an issue like the one we're facing right now:

* Our campus SSO authentication was switched over to SAML.
* After that switch, videos embedded in Canvas and elsewhere no longer work if they require off-campus authentication.

So, an off-campus user whose instructor has embedded a video from one of our library databases is no longer prompted to authenticate within that embedded area -- instead, depending on the browser they're using, they'll either be prompted to open the video in a new window (helpful), or they just get a general "refused to load" message (not at all helpful!).

I understand the reason for this security -- we don't want people putting in their credentials in an embedded web page under false pretenses!

The obvious workaround is to switch from embedded videos to links, but that goes against best practices for Distance Education, especially when the external link takes the user out of their LMS.

So, my questions for anyone in the know:

* Assuming we have no choice but to stay with SAML, does anyone know of a workaround that will allow users to authenticate and watch an embedded video without leaving the page?
* Does anyone have current experience with other authentication methods that play well with embedded videos? If so, please let me know what they are.

Thank you all for any insights you can provide!

Regards,
Ken

--
Ken Simon | Reference and Online Services Librarian
Shatford Library, Pasadena City College