'Some QR codes have "favicon" graphics in dead-space of the QR code where
they are ignored by the QR reader..'

I'm not sure it's fair to call it dead space. The cute little graphic in
the middle of your QR code is taking advantage of - but also eating into -
the redundancy and error correction built into the format. IOW, it
deliberately damages the QR code knowing that it can get away with
it, which it mostly can on web pages. Problems might arise once Charles'
business card has gotten a little worn, or creased, or had some coffee
spilled on it.