The Ohio State University Libraries are pleased to announce that we have successfully launched our Gray Digital Preservation Repository (Gray Repo) service, which provides a path to preservation for born digital (or received as digital) content that has been accessioned, and is only intended to be minimally processed and/or is temporally restricted. As such, and in accordance with our Distinctive Collections' accessioning policies and procedures, it is the default digital preservation repository. Further, it provides a preservation environment for some legacy digitized preservation files. The Gray Repo is an open-source Fedora preservation platform, hosted in Amazon Web Services. We have strung together a series of open-source and off-the-shelf software tools to process the digital materials prior to ingest.

It is a "dim digital preservation archive" that allows for curatorial deposit and limited curatorial access, but provides no public access to the University Libraries' digital objects stored within. This is in contrast to a "light archive" which provides public access, or a "dark archive" which only allows custodial access. It is much more akin to a physical archival storage facility, much like our Book Depository, where items are stored on shelves in an environmentally regulated and well managed manner, and appropriately described in conformance with accepted standards, while the public and unvetted personnel are not allowed to wander the stacks.

You can learn more about Ohio State's Gray Repo and the processing workflow at http://go.osu.edu/Gray-Repo-Wiki.

[The Ohio State University]
Daniel W. Noonan
Associate Professor
Digital Preservation Librarian
University Libraries | Technology and Digital Programs
320A 18th Avenue Library | 175 West 18th Avenue Columbus, OH 43210
614.247.2425 Office
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | go.osu.edu/noonan<http://go.osu.edu/noonan> | @[log in to unmask]<https://mastodon.scot/@dannynoonan1962> | @dannynoonan1962.bsky.social<https://bsky.app/profile/dannynoonan1962.bsky.social>
[cid:[log in to unmask]]http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7021-4106

Pronouns: he/him/his ~ Honorific: Mr.

[pride-logo-email-horz@2x]