I just love it when a problem has so many good solutions from which to
choose!  Thanks so much to all who responded.  I think I'll try a couple of
the suggestions.  Eventually, I'd like to develop an "OPAC on a stick," so
to speak, a flash drive with a minimal Linux distro on it.  Boot from it,
it takes you through a series of questions about your network, your catalog
URL, etc, and when finished, you have a working OPAC.  For remote
management, there's always SSH, but I'd throw in Ajenti and kill the extra
TTY logins to prevent possible patron mayhem.

I had looked into Porteus long ago but I seem to recall having an issue
that caused me to abandon it.  While I'm sure that's no longer the case, I
prefer not to have to set up another server.  I also like the idea of
having a proxy server return custom messages, but again, if I can achieve
the desired result without an additional system to maintain, that's my goal.

I'll report back on what my machinations yield.

Thanks again.  Have a most excellent weekend, all!

John Lolis
Coordinator of Computer Systems

100 Martine Avenue
White Plains, NY  10601
tel: 1.914.422.1497
fax: 1.914.422.1452

https://whiteplainslibrary.org/

*“I would rather have questions that can’t be answered than answers that
can’t be questioned.”*
— Richard Feynman
<https://click.fourhourmail.com/5qure95xkf7hvvo93wh2/7qh7h8h05vr4zrtz/aHR0cHM6Ly9lbi53aWtpcGVkaWEub3JnL3dpa2kvUmljaGFyZF9GZXlubWFu>,
theoretical physicist and recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1965