Wow.  Thanks so much, Kaleb.  I started looking into modifying that xhtml
file, and found those waters I waded into to be quite deep.  I only got so
far, but I came across mention of code signing that one would come across,
and how that security makes it difficult to make modifications.  With my
time being at such a premium these days, I decided to go with the more
expedient solution, that is, to set up a proxy server with at least one
custom error page.

Since we already use pfSense here, it didn't take much to find the path to
the Squid proxy error pages.  If anyone is interested, the English language
ones can be found here (many more languages are available from up one
level): /usr/local/etc/squid/errors/en

Below is a quick-and-dirty page I came up with.  The file is
/usr/local/etc/squid/errors/en/ERR_DNS_FAIL.  I thought of having an
automatic redirect, but I think it's better to require some interaction.

Thanks so much once again to everyone for their suggestions!

[image: image.png]

John Lolis
Coordinator of Computer Systems

100 Martine Avenue
White Plains, NY  10601
tel: 1.914.422.1497
fax: 1.914.422.1452

https://whiteplainslibrary.org/

*“I would rather have questions that can’t be answered than answers that
can’t be questioned.”*
— Richard Feynman
<https://click.fourhourmail.com/5qure95xkf7hvvo93wh2/7qh7h8h05vr4zrtz/aHR0cHM6Ly9lbi53aWtpcGVkaWEub3JnL3dpa2kvUmljaGFyZF9GZXlubWFu>,
theoretical physicist and recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1965