The Journal of eScience Librarianship (JeSLIB) and the Responsible AI in Libraries and Archives project are proud to publish a Special Issue on Responsible AI in Libraries and Archives.

Librarians and archivists are often early adopters and experimenters with new technologies. Our field is also interested in critically engaging with technology, and we are well-positioned to be leaders in the slow and careful consideration of new technologies. Therefore, as librarians and archivists begin using artificial intelligence (AI) to enhance library services, we also aim to interrogate the ethical issues that arise. The IMLS-funded Responsible AI in Libraries and Archives project aims to create resources that will help practitioners make ethical decisions when implementing AI in their work. The case studies in this special issue are one such resource.

Guest editors: Sara Mannheimer, Doralyn Rossmann, Jason Clark, Yasmeen Shorish, Natalie Bond, Hannah Scates Kettler, Bonnie Sheehey, and Scott W. H. Young

The full issue is available at https://publishing.escholarship.umassmed.edu/jeslib/issue/59/info/

Thank you for reading!

Sara

Sara Mannheimer (she/her)
Associate Professor - Data Librarian
Montana State University
Project Director, Responsible AI in Libraries & Archives