Dear All,

I currently teach workshops on Tropy for managing research photos, and it
works well, but I've read good things about digiKam, and I'm wondering what
folks's experiences have been.

Both are open source, cross platform solutions -- very good. From what I
can glean, digiKam offers more advanced tools, like facial recognition, as
well as more image manipulation tools -- and that it saves image
manipulations to disk (whereas Tropy applies its simple image manipulations
"on top" of the images, so to speak, not touching the original). Similarly,
DigiKam appears to have the ability to add metadata directly to the image
files themselves or to XMP sidecar files if the image format is
incompatible, which seems attractive. However, I'm wondering if Tropy's
flexible metadata templates are a bit more robust and easier to work with.

In any case, has anyone worked with both, and what would you recommend?
(And no, you cannot say, "just find the installation file for the last
release of Picasa and hold on to it forever").

Thank you for reading.

Best,
Dan

--
*Daniel Johnson, Ph.D.*
*Interim Co-Director, Navari Family Center for Digital Scholarship *

*University of Notre Dame*
250C Hesburgh Library
Notre Dame, IN 46556
o: 574-631-3457