Dear Charles,

Since you specifically mention websites in your post, the issue may be
solved by trying some of these solutions from the Microsoft forums where
there were sound issues specifically with the web browser:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftedge/forum/all/how-to-fix-no-sound-on-browser-issue/492147f8-cdbc-46e2-baf9-358f7bd7a236

Best of luck,
Lauren Doughty