[The following position announcement is being forwarded upon request. --ELM]
Senior Digital Library Software Engineer
Duties & Responsibilities
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is a community of Information Technology professionals committed to understanding our users and devoted to making it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn, and work through the effective use of information technology. We are recruiting an IT workforce that has both breadth in their ability to collaborate and innovate across disciplines - and depth in specific areas of expertise. HUIT offers opportunities for IT professionals to learn and work in a unique technology landscape and service-focused environment. If you are a technically proficient, nimble, user-focused and accountable IT professional who also connects with the importance of collaborating well in a team environment we are looking for you!
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
* Developing core digital library software using the J2EE software stack
* Working collaboratively with a team of developers, business analysts, and library experts on projects to define solutions for design and implementation.
* Building web-based solutions that can provide the interface for depositing, managing, and delivering digital objects and their metadata into and from the Library's Digital Repository Service (DRS).
* Willing to provide quick learning sessions on web design and implementation to other developers
* BA and 3-5 years of related experience.
* 2+ years of relevant professional experience in java software development including J2EE in Linux development and operating environments.
* Familiarity with WAI-ARIA standards and practices.
* Experience in database and XML programming, using JDBC or hibernate, and XSLT.
* Experience in developing and using REST web services.
* Experience planning and executing complex software development projects, including Junit testing.
* Functional and technical understanding of digital library systems and the operation of research libraries.
* Demonstrated ability to take initiative and successfully complete development projects; experience in agile team development practices.
* Experience in configuring productive development tools, such as automated build systems, automated unit test frameworks.
* Please note: Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
* Harvard University Information Technology is unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
* This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
Harvard Offers An Outstanding Benefits Package Including
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) to assure Harvard's leadership in IT!
More About HUIT
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University.
To assure Harvard's leadership in IT: We strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn, and work through the effective use of information technology.
USA - MA - Cambridge
Library Technology Services
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.