Re: Maker Spaces and Academic Libraries

Lisa H Kurt <[log in to unmask]>

Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:46:19 -0700

text/plain

I think some folks have already responded to 'why' pretty well, but I
figured I would add to the discussion from our perspective on the ground
at UNR in the DeLaMare Library and answer Edward's question too.

As far as why we are developing a makerspace or why we have 3D printers in
the library- I think Jason hit on two really important points - curriculum
and research support. In the library we hardly question buying journals
that cost upwards of $15K that may only support one department and in some
cases just one individual researcher. The 3D printer is already supporting
several schools and departments in terms of both research and curriculum.
There is a 3D printer in a department on our campus but the problem is-
the department keeps it under lock and key and students only get access to
that printer if they take a certain class within that specific department.
Here in the academic library- we are available to everyone on campus- no
lock and key, no special hours...we provide access to a much needed
service. Even over the summer- we've had faculty from Engineering,
Chemistry, and Art jumping in and working this service into their
curriculum even further now that they have access to the production
machine- it's a total win.

Previously a number of students and faculty has been sending their files
out to be printed at a rather high cost and turnaround time. This
eliminates that and allows our community to prototype more quickly and
more often. Chemistry has really gone far with this- one faculty remarked
that this has changed the way he does research now. Rapid prototyping is
critical.

As for equipment that is more dangerous to use- I've worked closely with
the local makerspace here in Reno, Bridgewire, and they've created a
student membership. They have and are going to continue to do workshops
for us here and they hold all kinds of workshops and events in their own
space. Anything that may be considered a liability is done on their
property and they have insurance. More recently, we are looking into
partnering with the campus machine shop. Again- they are well suited to
this kind of thing and take the necessary precautions.

I see the library as a bridge between a lot of these resources- we
communicate regularly with various groups to make sure students and
faculty get whatever resources they need- whether that's an article, a
book, a 3D printer, or access to a CNC machine.

My interest is in getting what our community needs, so while I keep an eye
out for how the laws will change in relation to these technologies, I
focus on serving the users and building the community. It's been
transformative here from when we were a building full of lots of print
books with very few people at all to now where we have open collaborative
space, 3D printers, button makers, poster printers, AR Drones, various
software, etc....and a LOT more users. We've seen the highest numbers of
users in this building that we've ever seen here. We have also heard from
several professors from different areas in full support of what we are
doing and praise the changes we've made here. At one point not too long
ago if you asked me what would happen to this library, I probably would
have said that it would be closed in the not too distant future; we've
totally turned that around because we've embraced our community and given
them something irresistible. The students graduating from here will have
had experience with technologies and learning in an environment that
encourages creating, which many other students across the country don't
have access to. I think it gives our students an advantage in a number of
industries where companies will be creating new kinds of jobs that we
can't yet imagine.

Our staff are the same existing staff that were here previously. No one is
specially trained- everyone has printed on the 3D printer- including all
of our student workers. It's fun, so it hasn't been a hard sell to anyone
to make something and learn...which is pretty cool. We set up the 3D Touch
printer ourselves- in fact the students busted open the box the second it
arrived, set it up and started printing. I wasn't even in the building
when that all happened- they took it on and I'm happy about that.

The production machine we have - the Uprint SE needed setup from the
vendor. He did a fairly quick rundown of how it all works and did the
machine setup for us. Since then it's been going non-stop without much
maintenance.

Out of both of the machines, the hobbyist machine has needed more
maintenance from us in terms of keeping it going well. The higher end
machine has been invaluable in that it runs without lots of "care and
feeding".

We have a couple of different options available for 3D software and we
have a number of students and student workers who are already well-versed
in creating with these tools. We are asking them to teach others and give
workshops- this works well as most of our students prefer to learn from
other students in a casual way. Our staff may not be 3D experts but we are
a learning organization and everyone jumps in when help is needed- we do
our best and work through the problems- then share with each other when we
learn something new. Most seem to learn best by doing and we do a lot. :)

--Lisa

Lisa Kurt
Engineering + Emerging Technologies Librarian
DeLaMare Science and Engineering Library
University of Nevada, Reno
phone: 775.682.5706