2019-04 – Consultant
Whirl-i-Gig is a growing Brooklyn-based firm that develops and supports open-source software for the capture, preservation and dissemination of museum, archival and research knowledge. Our open-source products include CollectiveAccess (https://collectiveaccess.org), software for management and presentation of museum and archival collections; Inquisite, a platform supporting preservation and reuse of collected scientific and humanities data sets; and the Exchange, an environment fostering interaction between students, educators and the public with works of art. We provide consulting, software development and hosting services around these products to a diverse group of museums, foundations, universities and other non-profits worldwide.
Whirl-i-Gig seeks to add a creative and collaborative consultant to our team of software designers, developers and system architects as we set out to create the next generation of responsive web and mobile platforms for museum, archival and scientific informatics. You will work directly with museums, universities and cultural organizations to define projects, craft efficient and effective solutions, and oversee implementation, deployment and ongoing support.
· Manage projects through their entire lifecycle, from initial proposal through discovery, design, implementation, deployment and post-delivery support.
· Design solutions that fulfill client requirements, respect accepted international standards and conform to technical and logistical constraints.
· Develop and document processes for transformation and migration of client data in myriad forms.
· Work closely with clients to implement solutions created in accordance with their requirements.
· Train and support clients and the larger user community in Whirl-i-Gig’s open-source products.
· Collaborate closely with other team members (software developers, system administrators, other consultants) to ensure that Whirl-i-Gig’s products continue to adhere to international standards, best practices and emerging client needs.
· Document software and processes.
· Demonstrate Whirl-i-Gig products to users, clients and potential clients.
Whirl-i-Gig provides a friendly, flexible work environment. The position is full-time, permanent and salaried. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and skills and includes employee health and retirement (401k) benefits. Direct interaction with clients across a wide range of disciplines and the use of emerging technologies means the position also offers opportunities for professional development and growth, including attending conferences. Infrequent travel for on-site client meetings, conferences and related activities may be required.
· Master of Library Science, Information Science, Archival or Museums Studies or equivalent degree; or 2+ years of relevant work experience in museums, archives or informatics.
· Familiarity with drafting project specifications, work plans and cost estimates.
· Self-motivated with ability to self-direct exploration of new technologies.
· Experience with widely employed metadata standards such as EAD, METS, PREMIS, DACS, VRA Core and Darwin Core.
· Strong written and oral English communication skills.
· Legal residency with work authorization.
· Knowledge of digital preservation concepts, practices and standards.
· Familarity with data formats such as XML and JSON.
· Familiarity with requirements for providing online access to museum, archival and/or research data.
· Working familiarity with Git version control software and GitHub-provided services.
How to apply
Please send your cover letter and resumé to [log in to unmask] and reference job posting 2019-04. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Whirl-i-Gig does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status or disability. Please note that our office is not wheelchair accessible.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/33951-consultant