**Discovery Services Librarian - #942036**
**J.Y. Joyner Library**
**East Carolina University**
Known for its leadership in distance
learning and its mission to serve, J.Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina
University (ECU) seeks an innovative, curious, flexible colleague to fill the
newly-created position of Discovery Services Librarian. As
head of the new Discovery Services department, the successful candidate will
imagine, define, implement, and support the next generation of library
**Responsibilities:** Reporting to the Assistant Director for Library Technology, the Discovery Services Librarian will:
* Provide leadership and vision in the management, support, integration, and administration of the Library's suite of information management and discovery systems
* Work collaboratively with ECU Libraries' faculty and staff to evaluate the Libraries' online resource discovery environment and to develop and implement strategies and innovative solutions to improve external and internal user experience and maximize system functionality
* Chair or co-chair library discovery committees
* Serve as head of the Discovery Services department and supervise two to three staff whose responsibilities include administering the integrated library system
* Monitor trends and best practices in library discovery; recommend and facilitate improvements to existing systems and services
* ALA-accredited masters' degree or international equivalent in library or information science
* Two or more years of relevant library experience
* Knowledge of current and emerging models and tools used by libraries for resource discovery
* Demonstrated ability to initiate, plan, coordinate, and implement complex projects and services
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues
* Demonstrated commitment to addressing user needs
* Knowledge of data standards prevalent in libraries
* Excellent oral and written communication skills to interact with audiences of diverse technical backgrounds
* Ability to achieve tenure through effective job performance, scholarly publication, and service activities
* Experience managing an integrated library system, discovery tool, and/or other large-scale enterprise system
* Experience selecting, planning and/or implementing an integrated library system, discovery tool, and/or other large-scale enterprise system
* Knowledge of database management systems and applications
* Experience addressing usability issues and with user-centered design
* Supervisory experience
* Additional advanced degree
Finalists will make a brief presentation during the on-campus interview.
**Academic Library Services:** Academic Library Services: Academic Library Services (ALS) supports the campus community's mission of teaching, research, and service. It holds membership in the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries (ASERL) and is a selective federal depository library. ALS is supported by an operating budget of $7.5 million, a materials budget of $4.5 million, and a staff of 105, including 40 faculty members. The Library's virtual infrastructure consists of a combination of vendor-based, open source, and locally developed resources using a variety of programming languages, primarily in a Windows environment. Key components include: SirsiDynix Symphony ILS; Serials Solutions e-resource discovery, access and management products; and an institutional repository powered by DSpace. Visit the Library's web site at [http://www.ecu.edu/lib](http://www.ecu.edu/lib) for additional information.
ALS recognizes that diversity and respect for human differences within the
academy is a key source of intellectual vitality and innovative spirit, and
encourages genuine respect for individual backgrounds, lifestyles,
experiences, perspectives and opinions. ALS invites
candidates from diverse backgrounds who will contribute affirmatively and
creatively to the university's multicultural environment.
We seek candidates who reflect the rich mix of backgrounds, life experiences,
cultures, perspectives and world views found within our university and
Located in Greenville, North Carolina, ECU enrolls over 27,000
students. It is a constituent institution of the University
of North Carolina and offers 104 bachelor's degree programs, 73 master's
degree programs and 38 certificate programs. In addition, it offers 18
doctoral programs (Ph.D., Ed.D.).
The campus is located approximately 80 miles east of Raleigh, and 80 miles
west of the Atlantic Ocean. Additional information about
ECU is available at [http://www.ecu.edu](http://www.ecu.edu/).
ECU is a leader in the state in distance learning initiatives and holds
Doctoral/Research Universities status as defined by The Carnegie Foundation.
**Rank, Salary, and Benefits: **This is a twelve-month tenure track faculty position with a comprehensive fringe benefits package. Professional achievement, service, and research/creative activity are required for tenure and promotion. Rank and salary negotiable and commensurate with candidate's experience and professional achievement (minimum salary of $50,000).
**Application Process:** Screening of applications will begin **March 15, 2012**, and continue until the position is filled. Start date is negotiable. **All **applicants **must** apply online through ECU's employment website at [http://www.jobs.ecu.edu](http://www.jobs.ecu.edu/).
Additional materials (letter of application; resume; and names and addresses,
postal and email, of three current references) can be attached to the
application electronically, copies of transcripts may be sent by mail to:
Ms. Mary Sweatte, Library Personnel Administrator
2400 Joyner Library, Mail Stop 516
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
Official transcripts for required degrees must be received prior to any offer
of employment. Proper documentation of identity and
employability are required at the time of employment. A criminal background
report will be completed on the chosen candidate. East Carolina University is
an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action University that accommodates
individuals with disabilities. Individuals requesting accommodation under the
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) should contact the Department for
Disability Support Services at (252) 737-1016 (Voice/TTY). Academic Library
Services is dedicated to sustaining a diverse workforce and does not
discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color,
national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or disability.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/799/