Position Summary: The Princeton University Library is one of the world's
leading research libraries, serving a diverse community of 5,264
undergraduates, 2,674 graduate students, 1,148 faculty, including visiting
scholars. Its holdings include more than 7,000,000 printed volumes, 5,000
manuscripts, 2,000,000 non-print items, and extensive collections of digital
text, data, and images. The Library employs a dedicated and knowledgeable
staff of more than 300 professional and support staff housed in a large
central library, nine specialized branches, and three storage facilities.
Princeton University Library seeks a flexible and innovative Metadata
Librarian for Western Languages with a specialization in Spanish/Portuguese
languages, history, and culture. The Metadata Librarian for Western Languages
will work as part of a team creating, converting and manipulating library
metadata in various formats to provide control of and access to the Library's
collections, digital and print, with broad responsibility for Western language
acquisitions, contributing special expertise, initiative and/or leadership
where application of knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese language is required.
The librarian needs a strong grounding in cataloging principles and the
ability to apply them to existing and emerging media in a variety of encoding
formats coupled with strong technical skills and the imagination to envision
alternate methods for achieving the Library's goals. The focus of the position
is on creative and efficient management of metadata, and increasing use of
technology whenever appropriate to achieve quicker, more efficient processing,
control and discovery promotion of print and digital receipts and holdings.
The librarian will work with multiple library systems and use tools such as
macros, MARCEdit, and the XML tools that are becoming more important for
cross-walking and storing our data.
Applications must include a resume/cv, cover letter, and a list of three
references with full contact information.
* Strong working knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese;
* M.L.S. or equivalent experience;
* Minimum of two years professional experience in an academic or research library;
* Experience which demonstrates a strong knowledge of cataloging principles;
* Knowledge of RDA;
* Knowledge of at least one XML metadata schema;
* Knowledge of authority principles and practices;
* XML, XPath, Xquery, Xquery update;
* Experience demonstrating capability for project planning and workflow management;
* Demonstrated ability to work in a collegial, team environment.
* Education Required: Other-see essential qualifications
* Working knowledge of other European languages;
* Experience demonstrating supervisory skills;
* Familiarity with systems architecture;
* Knowledge of additional metadata schema.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/5688/