Systems Librarian, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Description: The Library Systems Administrator provides leadership in the creation, implementation and assessment of digital library/archives projects and programs, and assists with the development and maintenance of the library/archives website. www.cshl.edu/CSHLlib . The ideal candidate will coordinate electronic services, provide user support and teach the Laboratory's scientists and staff how to use library applications, the Intranet and library databases.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory http://www.cshl.edu <http://www.cshl.edu/> is a world-renowned research and educational institution located on the north shore of Long Island, lying on a secluded inlet about 45 miles from New York City. The Library and Archives, located in the Carnegie Building are under the Directorship of Mila Pollock, which supports leading research scientists in molecular biology, neurobiology, cancer, genetics and bioinformatics. The Archives, created in 1972, houses the growing collection of research and historical materials, consisting of a rich repository of rare books, manuscripts, photographs, personal correspondence, and scientific reprints related to CSHL.
Responsibilities and duties:
1. oversees the library's archival metadata project that uses the database application: Digitool (Exlibris).
2. heads, maintains and enhances all existing library web-based, digital and electronic projects, including our link resolver system, SFX (Ex Libris), and ILLiad.
3. assists with maintaining and updating the Library and Archives web sites and works with the web developer.
4. maintains the library PCs and Macs, both hardware and software applications and coordinates with our IT department to maintain system functionality and integrity in the all Library and Archives digitization projects.
5. has knowledge of online database searching (OVID, PubMed, Web of Science, BIOSIS
6. provides technical and educational assistance and teaching to library staff, students, scientific staff and visitors to the library.
7. works collaboratively with the Liaison to professional organizations for management of library and archival standards, system specifications and optimization.
8. develops new projects by performing necessary investigation, analysis and evaluation to determine project feasibility and prepares and manages proposals for Library and Archival technology projects.
* M.S. or M.L.S. from an ALA accredited program required.
* proficiency with Windows, Mac and Unix, knowledge of SGML, HTML, Perl, PHP, SQL, Ajax
* experience working in a LAMP (linux apache mysql php) or Ruby on rails environment
* knowledge of RSS feed formats, XML, and OAI issues
* experience with metadata formats: EAD, Dublin Core
* experience with OCLC services, and technical services, including acquisitions, serials control, interlibrary loan and document delivery as they apply to our software applications
* experience with establishing requirements with the IT department when configuring network servers and routers, and implementing and managing network security.
* ability to teach computer applications is an asset in this position.
* ability to establish goals and priorities and to work with other departments to meet goals; strong problem solving skills; team player with excellent communication skills.
This position will report to the Director of Libraries and Archives. Prior experience working in an academic or research library, in digital imaging, electronic collection building and management is a plus.
Please apply to [log in to unmask]
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
Department of Human Resources
1 Bungtown Road, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724