This is my current gig; I am moving into a new position at SPL. Given that Seattle is both the most literate  and the geekiest  city in the United States, this would seem to be the perfect position for a library geek. Don't hesitate to email me if you have any questions.
<[log in to unmask]>
The Seattle Public Library is seeking an experienced Integrated Library Systems Administrator.
The Integrated Library Systems Administrator serves as departmental lead and authority for administering and maintaining the Library's Horizon integrated library system (ILS).
- Configures ILS system, provides training for staff, maintains administrative tables, manage user accounts and security, and performs other administrative tasks on the database systems as directed.
-Writes and programs custom reports and scripts for undertaking routine and non-routine maintenance database tasks using SQL or a similar reporting and database modification language.
- Serves as primary technical contact with ILS vendor and related user communities.
- Oversees the implementation of new ILS features, and assures connectivity and data transmission between ILS and ancillary applications.
- Serves as "final" internal tier for support of ILS, analyzes, resolves and responds to trouble tickets, service requests and information queries from staff and public.
- Serves as a departmental lead or project manager for assigned projects, including overseeing the implementation of new services and systems.
- Creates and maintains procedures and documentation, including software configurations, for ILS and related 3rd-party applications.
- Interacts with third-party technology vendors and internal technology staff.
Required qualifications include:
-A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, or other related discipline or commensurate experience
-3+ years progressively responsible experience with library automation systems (ILS) or other major database systems (system administration, ability to create custom reports).
- Training/experience with library cataloging practices and library practices and procedures (collections and technical services, circulation, reference, in-depth understanding of MARC formats, AACR2, etc.).
- Extensive experience with SQL or a similar database reporting and modification language, and with RDBMS (pref. Sybase, MS SQL, or DB2) administration.
- Scripting experience in a Windows NT/2000/XP or UNIX environment, or other programming or SQL/report languages experience.
Desired qualifications include:
- Experience administering the SirsiDynix Horizon system.
- Masters degree in Library and Information Science.
- Experience administering applications or servers using Windows Active Directory in a large enterprise or organizational environment.
- Experience administering applications on Linux (Red Hat) or UNIX systems and hardware.
Salary: $66,788.80 - $81,161.60 annually, including excellent benefits. This classification is part of a bargaining unit represented by AFSCME, Local 2083.
Application materials are due by 5:00pm Pacific Time, Monday, February 19, 2007. For more information and instructions on how to apply, interested applicants should check out the full job posting at: