The following position is available immediately at the University of
Web Applications Developer, Digital Library Development Lab
University of Minnesota Libraries
The University of Minnesota Libraries seeks a highly skilled and
productive technical staff member to join the Digital Library
Development Lab to provide database and applications development
support for new and existing digital library projects. The position
is for a full-time, 12-month appointment. The position reports to
the Director of the Digital Library Development Lab.
The University of Minnesota Libraries, a vibrant system of libraries
on the Twin Cities campus, provide collections and services in
support of the University's mission and programs in 14 separate
facilities. The Libraries are an integral part of the campus life and
a significant collaborator within the state, national, and
international research library communities.
Positioned within the Libraries' Information Technology Division, the
Digital Library Development Lab develops and supports the
architecture, tools, and interfaces that integrate information
resources and services into the University's digital library, and
educational and research environments. The Lab aspires to deliver an
information environment that significantly advances end-user resource
discovery, retrieval, and use of information through the
implementation of an architecture that seamlessly integrates content,
services, and tools. The Lab is responsible for the design,
development or acquisition, and implementation of the software tools
that make such an environment possible. The Digital Collections unit,
which is responsible for the production and presentation of digital
formats of research and scholarly material from the Libraries'
collections and from across the University, is an integral part of
the Lab. As a growing unit, the Lab currently consists of 8.5 FTE,
which includes web applications developers, a web services
coordinator, an interface/web designer, digital asset production
team, and management. The Lab works in collaboration with the other
departments in the Libraries' Information Technology Division --
Central Operations (server and network systems), Libraries Enterprise
Operations, Computer Support (desktop), and Health Sciences Systems
departments -- and other units in the Libraries and at the University.
The successful candidate will share responsibilities for a variety of
projects currently in planning or development, or under
implementation. While specific assignments will depend on the
candidate's experience and areas of expertise, general
responsibilities will include:
* Systems analysis and planning -- interpreting needs and proposing
technical solutions for projects involving web database creation and
enhancement, and interface development.
* Database development and implementation, applications programming,
and tools development -- designing, developing, and adapting
resources and tools for ingesting, storing, managing, and accessing
digital content into various digital repositories;
* Integration development -- assisting in the design and development
of deeper integration of information assets available in the
Libraries' online environment with the user community's teaching,
learning, and research processes, including tools that support
personalized and collaborative access to and interaction with assets;
* Troubleshooting and resolving problems within expected timeframes;
* Creating and maintaining appropriate documentation and records;
* Other related responsibilities, as assigned.
Qualifications -- Required:
* B.A. or B.S., preferably in computer science or a related field.
* Experience in systems analysis and design plus two or more years of
programming experience, including substantial experience with C
programming languages, or C-like languages (e.g., Java, Perl, PHP)
and with web-enabled relational database applications (Oracle, MySQL,
* Experience with Unix operating systems
* Demonstrated project management and software development experience
* Experience with troubleshooting and problem resolution, planning
and time management, and creating and maintaining documentation
* Effective interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
* Ability to work independently and as part of a project team.
Qualifications -- Preferred:
* M.A. or M.S. in computer science, M.I.S., library science, or related field
* Experience with applications using Java language, including
servlets, JSP, and tomcat, Jrun or similar technology
* Experience with digital library applications, including XML
standards (XSL/XPath, XQuery, XSLT, XML Schema and namespaces)
* Understanding of and experience in developing software based on
other standards relevant to the digital library development: e.g.,
RDF, DOI, handle, OAI-PMH, Z39.50, SRU/W, OpenURL
* Experience working in a multi-disciplinary collaborative
* Experience working in a library environment
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time, 12-month information technology professional
position in the professional academic classification. The Libraries
offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
TO APPLY: Review of applications begins immediately and will continue
until the position is filled. Submit a letter of application, resume,
and the names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of
three current professional references at
position opening is Job No: UL223, with Requisition No: 144234.
The University of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer.