LAC is looking for Systems Administrator to work on contract at a
federal library in the Washington DC area. The Administrator will
provide all aspects of computer systems administration in a
heterogeneous computing environment. Operating systems include Sun
Solaris 9/10 and Windows (Windows 2003 Server and XP Professional).
* Provide operational support of the UNIX (SUN SOLARIS) and
Microsoft Windows (including Active Directory)computing environment
including hardware installations, upgrades, OS and application software
installations and upgrades, security monitoring and patches, backup and
recovery administration, maintaining users and peripheral equipment,
troubleshooting system and application issues.
* Provide LAN troubleshooting and support.
* Provide technical recommendations for information systems
operations in the UNIX (SUN SOLARIS) environment. Implement
modifications to increase system capacity. Analyze the results of
performance and systems management software and recommend changes to
improve processing and utilization.
* Perform all procedures necessary to ensure the safety of
information systems assets and to protect or recover systems from
intentional or inadvertent access or destruction. Maintain and update
security information, and certification and accreditation packages to
meet the agencies policies.
* Function as an Alternate Computer Security Officer.
* Provide PC technical support as needed (SW & HW).
* Participate in evaluation, selection, and installation of
computer hardware and software packages; evaluate and make
recommendations on state-of-the-art technology improvements
* Maintain and develop system documentation, policies, and
procedures that promote optimal use of computer resources
* BS in Computer Science, Information Systems, or relevant
technical discipline (equivalent experience may be considered)
* 3+ years experience in systems administration.
* Extensive knowledge of UNIX (SUN SOLARIS 9/10) operating
* Extensive knowledge in Microsoft Windows 2003 Server and Active
* Extensive knowledge of backup, web server, and document software
(e.g., Veritas Netbackup, Apache, Tomcat, Microsoft Office suite).
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Ability to manage diverse tasks and professionally interact with
users and vendors and to work effectively and cooperatively on a team
* Must be able to work varied schedules to accommodate system
maintenance or upgrades.
* Lifting and relocation of computer equipment (must be able to
lift up to 50 lbs.).
* Must be a U.S. Citizen.
* Systems Administration and Network/Security certifications
* Networking skills desired.
* Knowledge of shell scripting, MySQL, PHP, Perl, SharePoint,
proxy servers, and web analysis applications are desired
* Knowledge of Macintosh OS X.
* Knowledge of Library software such as SirsiDynix Unicorn,
Compensation / To Apply
* Competitive compensation;
* Please email resume and cover letter to Marcy Johnson,
[log in to unmask] Please include the job title in your resume
and cover letter. EOE
The information contained in this e-mail message is privileged,
confidential, and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended
recipient, any dissemination or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
think that you have received this e-mail message in error, please e-mail