Library Associates Companies (LAC) is seeking a Metadata Librarian for a
prestigious University located in Pasadena, California. This is either a
part-time or full-time position with the possibility of subsequent hire.
This position calls for a candidate with serials management experience
to assist with original cataloging, link resolution services and
database maintenance activities within the Metadata Services Group. The
candidate must have an expert knowledge of standard library cataloging
standards such as MARC, AACR2, OpenURL, and tools such as OCLC Connexion
and will coordinate the work of staff members, distributed in various
library departments, and is responsible for quality control of metadata
in assigned areas of responsibility. This position reports to the
Metadata Group Manager.
NOTE: Non-local candidates will be considered but travel, relocation,
and housing reimbursements are not provided at this time.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND JOB DUTIES:
LINK RESOLUTION MANAGEMENT AND TROUBLESHOOTING
* Monitor acquisitions and cataloging workflow and activate link
resolution services in Ex Libris SFX upon addition of new resources to
the library collection.
* Create original local SFX Knowledge Base records as required.
* Edit local serials coverage thresholds as required after SFX
monthly Knowledge Base updates.
* Synchronize linking services between the ILS and SFX.
* Investigate access issues and resolve problems by using
licensing and payment records and publisher information to correctly
configure SFX link resolution services.
* Stay current of best practices in electronic resource management
and apply them to department workflow.
DATABASE MAINTENANCE AND AUTHORITY CONTROL
* Perform weekly heading report maintenance activities in
Innovative Millenium integrated library system.
* Monitor Library of Congress changes in subject headings and
apply global updates to bibliographic records.
* Create original authority records as required.
* Oversee special projects such as bulk ingest/edit of
bibliographic records for large serials packages.
* Perform rush cataloging
* Oversee copy cataloging and resolve complex copy cataloging
* Create original cataloging records for all media formats and
synchronize cataloging records with link resolver services as required.
* Investigate serials title changes and edit cataloging and link
* Be available as mentor and export on metadata to both internal
and external clients.
* Compile and analyze electronic statistics form a variety of
* Administer internal record keeping systems for tracking
* Participate in various department meetings and activities.
* Other duties as required.
* BA/BS with 2-5 years of relevant work experience mandatory. MLS
from an ALA accredited institution or international equivalent
ADDITIONAL SKILLS & DESIRED ABILTIES
* OpenURL - Expert
* Experienced with cataloging procedures, AACR2, MARC, Holdings
* Experienced with evolving metadata standards and best practices
* Microsoft Windows, Office proficiency
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Ability to work independently and within a team situation.
* Please email your resume and cover letter to
[log in to unmask], with a courtesy copy to Joanne Schwarz,
[log in to unmask]
* Please reference position title AND the position ID #910 as the
subject line of your email.
* Library Associates Companies is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action employer that values diversity in the workforce
Patty De Anda
Library Associates Companies
8383 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 355
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
800 987 6794 toll free
323 302 9439 local
323 852 1093 fax
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
The information contained in this e-mail message is privileged,
confidential, and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended
recipient, any dissemination or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
think that you have received this e-mail message in error, please e-mail