The University of Massachusetts Lowell is hiring a new Head of the
Library's Systems Department. This position manages the Library Systems
office and supports all current and future technology needs of the UMass
Lowell Library System which includes three separate libraries.
For full information, please refer to the university's Human Resources
Examples of Duties:
1. Manage the Library's Systems Office by:
* Overseeing all Library computer systems.
* Supervising Systems office employees.
* Overseeing hiring and training of work-study student assistants.
* Overseeing day to day technical operation of Electronic Resource
Center at two libraries.
* Managing remote access to libraries' electronic resources.
* Investigating and reporting on new technologies.
* Managing inventory of all library hardware.
* Serving as liaison to the University IT department.
* Submitting budget projections for library technology needs.
* Planning technology projects.
* Negotiating pricing for hardware and software and managing software
* Collaborating in the creation of business continuity plans and
2. Provide technical support for the Library's Systems by:
* Administering the Libraries' Integrated Library System (ILS) and
* Performing maintenance and scheduled upgrades.
* Communicating with ILS providers to resolve problems.
* Investigating new ILS systems or alternatives.
* Executing upgrades of legacy software including enterprise level
patching and anti-virus software.
* Planning and implementing new software systems.
* Administering Libraries' technical requirements for the libraries'
* Installing, managing and supporting library network consisting of over
175 Macintosh and Windows computers, 10 servers, and 20 printers.
* Supporting and maintaining LanSchool instructional network.
* Providing user training and documentation.
* Maintaining multiple redundant systems to ensure high availability.
* Supporting and maintaining loaner laptops and computers for the
Library's Media Department.
3. Support technical needs of all library departments by:
* Collaborating with Library personnel on technology projects.
* Communicating and training appropriate Library staff on new ILS
* Providing technical support for the library webmaster and web
* Serving on Library and University committees as appointed by the
4. Promote the University's commitment to customer service by:
* Building effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the
University by freely sharing appropriate information and providing
assistance when needed.
* Ensuring optimum service to all internal and external partners in
response to all requests for service and information.
* Maintaining an environment that is welcoming to persons of all
backgrounds, nationalities, and roles.
* Bachelor's Degree, Computer Science preferred; Master's Degree
* 5 years experience in Systems Administration.
* Previous experience with Endeavor or other Integrated Library System
* 3-5 years supervisory experience.
* Some experience working in a library.
* Working knowledge of a wide variety of information technology
* Proficiency in the SQL and/or other computer languages.
* Programming experience.
* Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills (written
* Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
* Ability to organize work and to work well under pressure.
* Ability to work evenings as necessary.
* A job offer for this position is contingent upon a satisfactory
response to a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check and
Initial review of applications will begin April 21, 2008.
Supervision Received: Reports to the Head of Access and Technical