Web Systems Programmer
The University of Michigan Library's Web Systems department is looking for
an energetic and talented team-focused Web Systems Programmer with
demonstrated experience and expertise in Perl, PHP, and MySQL. This is a
permanent, full-time (40-hour) position. The University of Michigan offers
a comprehensive benefits package, including 24 vacation days a year, health
insurance, generous retirement contributions, and much more. Target salary
Range: $40,000 - $45,000 dependent on education and previous relevant
The University Library is embarking on three major development efforts:
Redeploying our web site in Drupal, implementing and customizing an
open-source next-generation catalog system, and developing an improved
federated search tool. The Web Systems Programmer will join a small team
with significant responsibility for achieving all three objectives. This
position shares responsibility with other Web Systems staff for curriculum
integration projects, specifically, integrating library resources with the
University of Michigan's Sakai implementation. Additionally, the incumbent
will take on maintenance and further development of existing applications,
including the just-launched MTagger, a social bookmarking tool integrated
into the library catalog, web site, and library's digital image
collections. More information about the department and our projects can be
found on the Library Web Systems web site.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume (as one document) through the
U-M's "Careers at the U" (http://www.umich.edu/~jobs/) site. Look for job
Review of applications will begin on 8/22/08.
The Web Systems Programmer (Applications Programmer Analyst Intermediate)
will be part of a team developing innovative library services tailored to
the University of Michigan University Library's diverse user base. The
incumbent will develop and support the University Library's technology
service environment through performing detailed analysis and design of new
systems and modifying the design of existing ones to meet the evolving
needs of library system users.
The Web Systems Programmer will write or modify complex computer programs
needed. The candidate will apply systems analysis procedures, including
consulting with users, to determine software and system design
specifications as the primary interface programmer for the Library's
gateway web site, Search Tools (Ex Libris' federated search engine for
library databases), the EZProxy server, and numerous database-driven web
* Bachelor's degree (Computer Science or Engineering preferred) or
equivalent education and experience.
* Experience in server-side programming: Perl, PHP, and MySQL.
* Strong familiarity with Unix and command line tools.
* Knowledge of current web design, usability, and accessibility standards.
* Demonstrated ability to work comfortably and effectively as part of a
distributed development/implementation team in a culturally diverse work
* Excellent interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to
* Master's degree (Computer Science or Engineering preferred) or
equivalent education and experience.
* Demonstrated experience with "Web 2.0" technologies
* Demonstrated experience implementing and/or maintaining web sites using
the Drupal content management system.
* Familiarity with Ex Libris' Aleph online catalog and Metalib federated
* Familiarity with the Sakai course management system
* Demonstrated experience writing use cases, performing usability testing,
and developing standards documentation.
* Demonstrated experience developing Java web applications using
open-source tools (Maven, Ant, Eclipse) or equivalent
* Demonstrated experience with Java web applications development (Java
server pages and/or Java servlets).
* Experience designing, implementing, and using Web Services (REST, SOAP,
* Comfortable answering and troubleshooting technical support questions.
* Demonstrated experience debugging and maintaining code.
* Part of this job may require some work outside normal working hours to
analyze and correct critical problems that arise in the 24 hours per day
* Questions about the job description may be directed to Ken Varnum, Web
Systems Manager, at [log in to unmask]
Web Systems Manager
University Library E: [log in to unmask]
University of Michigan T: 734-615-3287
309 Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library F: 734-647-6897
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1205 http://www.lib.umich.edu/