The University of Michiganšs Library Web Systems department has received
funding for a one-year term position to build a new, improved, federated
search tool for the University Library.
Library Web Systems manages the U-M Library web site [
http://www.lib.umich.edu ], federated search [
http://searchtools.lib.umich.edu ], the library's social bookmarking tool [
http://www.lib.umich.edu/mtagger/ ], develops other innovative and
experimental tools through MLibrary Labs [ http://www.lib.umich.edu/labs ],
and is implementing Drupal as our content management system.
The Federated Search Developer will create new tools to better match
licensed databases with patron needs. The new system will lead our users to
A) the right database [relevant to search query] at the B) right level
[appropriate to the academic level of the specific question] of
subject-specific resources and C) ask the database the right question [using
vocabulary appropriate to the search target]. The successful candidate will
demonstrate experience and expertise in working with systems and data
integration in library databases. Applicants should show experience with
PHP, Perl, MySQL, XML, and data interchange processes and formats.
This is a one-year term, full-time (40-hour) position. The University offers
a comprehensive benefits package, including 24 vacation days a year, health
insurance, generous retirement contributions, and much more. Salary is
dependent on education and previous relevant experience.
- BS (MS preferred) in computer science or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years programming experience in a library environment.
- Experience with federated search, preferably using Ex Libris Metalib
- Experience with systems and data integration, working with disparate and
poorly documented APIs.
- Experience in server-side programming:
- Perl, PHP, and MySQL.
- Strong familiarity with Unix and command line tools.
- Knowledge of current web design, usability, and accessibility standards.
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortably and effectively as part of a
development/implementation team in a culturally diverse work environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to communicate
- Familiarity with Ex Libris Aleph online catalog and Metalib federated
Visit the University of Michigan's Careers at the U [
http://www.umich.edu/~jobs/ ] site and search for posting 24794. Please
submit a cover letter and resume (as a single document). Review of
applications will begin September 21, 2008.
For questions about the job, please contact Ken Varnum, Web Systems Manager,
at [log in to unmask]