Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

CODE4LIB Home

CODE4LIB  September 2009

CODE4LIB September 2009

Re: Implementing OpenURL for simple web resources

"O.Stephens" <[log in to unmask]>

Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:17:40 +0100

text/plain

Ross - no you didn't miss it,

There are 3 ways that references might be added to the learning environment:

An author (or realistically a proxy on behalf of the author) can insert a reference into a structured Word document from an RIS file. This structured document (XML) then goes through a 'publication' process which pushes the content to the learning environment (Moodle), including rendering the references from RIS format into a specified style, with links.
An author/librarian/other can import references to a 'resources' area in our learning environment (Moodle) from a RIS file
An author/librarian/other can subscribe to an RSS feed from a RefWorks 'RefShare' folder within the 'resources' area of the learning environment

In general the project is focussing on the use of RefWorks - so although the RIS files could be created by any suitable s/w, we are looking specifically at RefWorks.

How you get the reference into RefWorks is something we are looking at currently. The best approach varies depending on the type of material you are looking at:

For websites it looks like the 'RefGrab-it' bookmarklet/browser plugin (depending on your browser) is the easiest way of capturing website details.
For books, probably a Union catalogue search from within RefWorks
For journal articles, probably a Federated search engine (SS 360 is what we've got)
Any of these could be entered by hand of course, as could several other kinds of reference

Entering the references into RefWorks could be done by an author, but it more likely to be done by a member of clerical staff or a librarian/library assistant

Owen

Owen Stephens
TELSTAR Project Manager
Library and Learning Resources Centre