Please forgive cross posting of this message. We have a great opportunity for a Web specialist at Villanova. Online applications only will be accepted, at the address below. Posting will remain active until the position is filled. To apply go to the Villanova University HR site at:
Senior Web Specialist for Library & Scholarly Applications
Falvey Memorial Library
Supports design and development of online environment for Villanova's 21st century library. In collaboration with Library Technology Development Team and the library director, responsible for identifying, exploring, planning, & managing implementation of new methods, tools and resources to extend and enhance digitally delivered library services, including applications that extend the library's reach on the social Web. Applies evolving user-centered design principles to all aspects (visual, information architecture, site structure, navigational features etc.) of the library Web environment. Supports new initiatives in the digital scholarship arena, including implementation and support for online publishing tools and associated services. Supports & collaborates with the Digital Library Team Leader to refine and extend power & functionality of the Villanova University Digital Library. Collaborates with the Systems Support Librarians to plan and manage the transition of library management systems to state-of-the- art open source technologies. Advocates for and advances the library technology agenda on the local, regional, and national levels by means of cooperative projects and inter-library collaboration. Convenes and coordinates activities of cross-functional teams for project implementation. Works with library director, library technology staff, and Unit to develop and revise mid- and long-term library technology plans. Collaborates with Instructional Design librarian and Center for Instructional Technology to integrate new library technologies into library educational services. Collaborates with Library Assessment Team to measure success of new technology projects.
· Works individually and collaboratively to establish priorities, develop plans, design and enhance interfaces, and develop and implement features and services for the continuous improvement of the library online environment, including site strategy, site design, site infrastructure and maintenance support, usability analysis, and coordination of content management and implementation activities (with the Library Web Team).
· Implements and enhances systems and service infrastructure for the support of digital scholarship at Villanova, including applications to facilitate new modes of e-publishing.
· Collaborates with Systems Support librarian, library staff teams and working groups, and the library.
· Provides ongoing interface design and development support for Villanova University Digital Library initiatives, as a member of the Digital Library Team.
· Library Liaison Team & user assistance duties as assigned, based on educational background and areas of special competence.
Undergraduate degree in Web design or in a related discipline required.
Masters degree information architecture, information science, Web publishing or digital media required.
Three to five years of progressively responsible experience developing and implementing technology projects in a collaborative, team-based, goal-oriented environment, with a preference for such experience in an academic library or academic publishing setting.
Demonstrated experience with Web design as indicated by a portfolio of user-oriented Web designs completed and implemented in real-world contexts.
Knowledge of image editing with tools such as Photoshop and Illustrator;
Knowledge of common Web scripting frameworks;
Familiarity with Java or other similar object-oriented programming language
Familiarity with SQL, database systems, and basic principles of database design
Broad awareness of Web security technologies (SSL, certificates, public keys) and user authentication environments such as LDAP, Active Directory and NDS
Broad awareness of “portal” and Intranet functionality
Understanding of Web search engines, the structure of the contemporary information environment and the unique function of academic libraries in that context
Understanding of the academic and organizational cultures of higher education institution
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>