UBC Library has 2 vacancies for Programmer/Analysts. Below is the Job
Posting. Follow the link for the full job description and search for
Job ID 7228:
Library Systems & Information Technology
Irving K. Barber Learning Centre, Room 142
1961 East Mall
Email: [log in to unmask]
UBC Library, Systems & Information Technology Division Two (2)
Full-time Immediate Openings -- Programmer/Analysts UBC Campus --
The University of British Columbia Library is one of the largest
research libraries in Canada with more than 15 locations on and off
campus including UBC Okanagan Library. Our collections are large and
diverse and include: 5.4 million volumes, 5.2 million microforms, over
808,000 maps, audio, video and graphic materials and nearly 56,000
serial subscriptions. More than 300 full and part-time faculty and
staff at UBC Library serve not only UBC faculty, staff and students at
but also the broader community of BC.
UBC Library‚s Information Systems & Technology Division provides a
range of information systems, applications development and support in
the areas of: library cataloguing, scholarly communications,
electronic publishing, institutional repositories, resource discovery,
web content management and various types of digital collections. These
applications, many of which are on the cutting edge of academic
library technology, are based on a broad and rapidly changing range of
local, commercial and open source software.
We are currently recruiting for two Programmer/Analysts to join the
division. The positions are responsible for the ongoing development,
integration and system administration for systems and applications
supporting UBC Library‚s user community. Major responsibilities
- Identifying technological solutions to meet the rapidly evolving
information technology requirements of a major Canadian academic
- Developing, installing, testing, maintaining, troubleshooting and
documenting vendor supplied, open source or locally developed Library
- Integrating Library information systems with other related systems
and various aspects of the campus IT infrastructure (e.g.
authentication, security, etc);
- Providing the necessary application, operating system and hardware
administration support and vendor consultation;
- Participating in the research, evaluation, procurement, testing,
installation and administration of new Library IT systems, and
- Performing other related duties.
The successful candidate will have:
- University degree in Computer Science with a minimum of five years
of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and
- Experience with the development, operation and maintenance of major
- In depth knowledge and experience in:
- current operating systems (e.g., Windows and Unix including
SOLARIS, LINUX,) and related physical or virtual hardware (e.g.,
VMware, VirtualPC, Xen,);
- Web design and programming using broad technologies (e.g.
Coldfusion, Java, Ruby on Rails, Perl, PHP, Python, ASP, JSP,
- XML/XSL and other Internet/Web standards;
- developing and maintaining database management systems
(e.g., MS Access, Oracle, mySQL);
- installing and configuring web application servers (e.g. MS
IIS, Apache, Tomcat, Coldfusion);
- and web authentication authorization methods (e.g. LDAP,
Shibboleth, openID, or UBC Campus Wide Login).
- Effective oral and written communication, organizational and
- Ability to test and troubleshoot all systems.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities, manage multiple tasks and
- Ability to keep current with developments and trends in information
Other experience that would be considered an asset to the successful
- Experience in libraries and/or knowledge of automated library
systems, standards and technologies.
- Experience with other academic information systems (e.g. Sakai,
Moodle, WebCT, Blackboard, etc).
- In depth familiarity with XML technologies (e.g. XQuery, XForms,
XLink, RDF, semantic web, XML databases, etc).
- Experience designing and implementing Web services (e.g. REST, SOAP,
- Experience developing applications using Web content management
systems and frameworks (e.g. Plone, Drupal, WordPress, MediaWiki,
Annual salary range is $64,369 - $77,274 (commensurate with
experience) and a full range of benefits are offered including dental
and extended health plans, vacation starting at four weeks, a staff
pension plan and a tuition fee benefit program.
To apply or to view the full job description, go to Job ID 7228 at
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity.
All qualified persons are encouraged to apply. UBC is strongly
committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes
applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal
persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation
or gender identity, and others who may contribute to the further
diversification of ideas. Canadians and permanent residents of Canada
will be given priority.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview
will be contacted.