]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CODE4LIB Home

CODE4LIB  May 2010

CODE4LIB May 2010

Re: Multi-server Search Engine response times: was - OASIS SRU and CQL, access to most-current drafts

Peter Noerr <[log in to unmask]>

Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 May 2010 21:17:05 +0000

text/plain

Agreed it is a problem. What MSSEs do (when operating this way) is make this issue a response time dependent one. Users themselves make it a Source dependent one (they only look at results from the sites they decide to search). Ranking algorithms make it an algorithm dependent one (their algorithm will determine what is top of the list).

In all cases the results are vying for the few slots that the user will actually look at - "above the fold", first 3", "first page", etc. The problem is that all results cannot be first, and we do not have any way to insist the user look at all of them and make an informed selection. Anyway this can go all the way back to the collection policies of the library and the aggregators and even the cussedness of authors in not writing articles on exactly the right topic. (bad authors!)

The MSEEs try to be even handed about it, but it doesn't always work. Possibly saving technologies here are text analysis and faceting. These can help take "horizontal slices" out of the vertically ordered list of results. That means the users can select another list which will be ordered a bit differently, and with text analysis and facets applied again, give them ways to slice and dice those results. But, in the end it requires enough interest from the user to do some refinement, and that battles with "good enough".

Peter