IT / Digital Expert
• Explores, adapts and supports library information technologies for digital projects, including the application of standards, discovery interfaces, workflow design, production coordination, and quality controls appropriate to specific projects.
• Experience with or knowledge of relevant software tools and platforms, storage issues, and metadata issues pertinent to digital libraries and/or institutional repositories.
• Develop solutions that can be integrated with other systems utilizing current standards and within the context of the Libraries' infrastructure.
• Familiarity with current/emerging digital preservation technologies as well as digital library standards, protocols & architectures.
• Grant and maintain access rights, and backup data for the archived materials.
• Solid understanding of digital repository software.
• Prepare IT budget and monitor spending appropriately.
• Evaluate new hardware and software to meet the Project requirements.
• Maintain inventory of internal licenses, track compliance and follow the Global IT standards of a Digital Library nature.
• The IT Expert should be experienced in latest technologies. Must have a strong familiarity with PC hardware, software and peripherals in S/W engineering.
• Experience with Database Design and Oracle products (APEX is preferred).
• Experience in Digital Library IT requirements and able to evaluate the best alternative solutions in this field.
• Thorough understanding of standards and best practices for digital collections.
• Experience in Network security.
• Experience with XML and XML-related technologies, such as XSLT, SGML/XML/XSL.
• Working knowledge of a range of computing platforms, storage environments, and digital library metadata frameworks (such as METS, MIX, and PREMIS, as well as the OAIS model).
• Individual must be a self-starter who can interact well with Engineering, Manufacturing, R&D, and Marketing groups. Must possess strong analytical interpersonal, and communication skills and have the ability to work with minimal supervision in a team environment.
• Requires a technical degree in Information Science, CS, or equivalent skill gained through experience coupled with 5+ years of experience in systems (hardware and software) support.
• Fluency in English is a must for all the applicants.
• Applicant age should not be more 60
• CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIVING THE APPLICATIONS IS End of November 2010.
This post offers the following benefits:
1. Two-Year Contract. The contract will be for two years, renewable.
2. Tax-Free Salary. Salary will depend on the academic qualifications, position and experience (One Bahraini Dinar BHD 1= US$ 2.64) and is exempt of any local income tax.
3. End of Service Bonus. Half additional month's salary for each year completed at the University of Bahrain
4. Accommodation. The University will provide to the appointee a suitable fully furnished accommodation free of charge.
5. Free Medical Services within the State Health System for the appointee and his/her dependent family.
6. Free Return Air Tickets for the appointee, spouse and up to 2 dependent children under 18 years of age for travelling TO and FROM Bahrain, including summer vacation.
7. Shipping Allowance for the shipment of the appointee's personal effects when joining the University of Bahrain.
HOW TO APPLY: All applicants are required to provide curriculum vitae, a health clearance/ screening and a background check. All the documents should be sent via mail or e-mail to the following address:
MS. REEM A AL-BUAINAIN
Office: (+973) 1787 3259
Fax: (+973) 1768 0102
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]