** With apologies for cross-posting **
Linked Library Data @ ALA Midwinter
Sunday, Jan. 9, 2011, 10:30-Noon
Marriott, Del Mar Room
This meeting will build on sessions from ALA 2010 Annual  and DC-2010
in Pittsburgh , though content will not assume attendees were at
either session. An ongoing LITA/ALCTS Linked Library Data Interest Group
is in the works, and attendees will be able to shape the direction of
that group and its activities. 
Specific agenda topics will be driven by attendee interest. Some
possible questions that can be discussed are:
- What library system functions can be enhanced by linked data?
- What role can library vendors play in an environment with open linking?
- For those working on linked data projects, what are the main
challenges you are facing?
- Where can we coordinate activities to make it easier to create links?
- What tools and communication channels could ease the burden of
producing or working with linked data?
- What role can we play in influencing standards development to support
the linked data environment?
Corey Harper, Co-Chair
Karen Coyle, Co-Chair
Function Statement (Draft): To provide a forum for discussion of
issues related to Linked Library Data and the role of library metadata
in the Semantic Web. Goals include: raising awareness of Semantic Web
technologies, such as the Resource Description Framework (RDF) and the
use of URIs as identifiers within bibliographic descriptions; promoting
research on linked data challenges, such as domain modeling and
vocabulary selection and design; and informing the ongoing development
of existing metadata standards for Libraries, Archives and Cultural
Some further reading linked from: http://kcoyle.net/lld-ala/
Corey A Harper
Metadata Services Librarian
New York University Libraries
20 Cooper Square, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10003-7112
[log in to unmask]