The Scholars’ Lab at the University of Virginia seeks an enthusiastic web applications specialist with a background in programming and the humanities or cultural heritage. As a Web Applications Specialist reporting to the Head of R&D for the Scholars’ Lab, you will be responsible for building, testing, and debugging code. You should possess an extreme attention to detail and a high level of accountability and responsibility. We’re looking for someone who enjoys technical challenges, likes to figure out how things work, and stays involved in the latest Web and digital humanities technologies. You will need to be able to fit in to a creative and collaborative environment.
Web Applications Specialist Responsibilities
* Build, test, and debug code
* Write test cases
* Estimate coding projects
* Provide consultation on collaborative projects
* Develop documentation
* Assist in the debugging and system troubleshooting for existing software written in a variety of languages and platform
* 1+ years full-time experience with web development (Rails and PHP preferred)
* Experience with Test Driven Development (Shoulda, RSpec, PHPUnit)
* Experience with relational database management systems (MySQL, Postgresql)
* Familiarity with version control systems
* Understanding of software life cycle
* Strong foundation in OO programming and practices
* Experience with Omeka a plus
Salary is commensurate with experience, and expected to range between approximately $43,500 and $75,500 per annum. We’re looking to fill this position quickly, so please don’t delay!
Consideration of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Job posting: http://jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=63332