[please excuse cross-postings]
Z. Smith Reynolds Library, Wake Forest University is seeking a Senior
Systems Administrator, as described below. ZSR Library has been a leader in
moving library services to the cloud and currently hosts many of our
services on Amazon's E2. Applications are accepted through the Wake Forest
*Senior Systems Administrator *
*Position Summary:* The Senior Systems Administrator manages key information
systems for the Library that support the academic needs of students, faculty
and staff. Performs system administration including: system design,
development, testing, implementation and regular system maintenance in a
cloud-based environment. Consults and collaborates with staff and faculty on
library Information Technology initiatives. Reports to the Assistant
Director, Technology Services.
- Responsible for managing a wide range of library systems which can
include discovery systems (Summon, VuFind), integrated library system
(Voyager), pay for print, (Pharos) remote storage inventory management
(AIMS), interlibrary loan and document delivery (ILLIAD), and electronic
reserves (ARES); works with units throughout the library on a wide range of
systems-related projects; develops technical documentation and training
relating to technology services and uses it to ensure quality control of
- Maintains the integrity of information and protects library data
through system security management processes.
- Performs development activities and systems analysis related to overall
library Information Technology (IT) needs; designs, implements, recommends,
and manages software to extend and integrate commercial, open source, and
locally developed software.
- Performs regular system maintenance activities, such as
backup/restores/ performance monitoring, etc.
- Collaborates with university libraries, Information Systems, and other
university units to support and develop library & university IT initiatives.
- Troubleshoots technology problems for patrons and library staff;
participates in on-call nights and weekends rotation for emergency
technology support to the library; actively participates as part of a team
that supports a broad range of electronic products, services and hardware
throughout the library.
- Participates in outreach, marketing, assessment and other library
initiatives; contributes cooperatively to library-wide initiatives;
participates in team and library-wide activities; serves on library
committees; demonstrates commitment to continual professional Performs other
related duties as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
*Education/Experience: *Bachelorís degree with specialized training in the
field of information technology, plus a minimum three to five years of
progressively responsible experience performing systems administration
duties. Significant scripting experience using advanced techniques.
Experience with database design, reporting, and management and client
reporting applications required. An equivalent combination of education and
experience may be accepted.
- Demonstrated proficiency in server management including Linux/Unix
administration, shell scripting, web and Java server administration, and
Windows server management.
- Proficiency with relational database management systems (RDBMS) (e.g
mysql, oracle, posgres) and relational database languages.
- Ability to conceptualize, define and implement interoperable
information systems to support library needs.
- Proficiency with at least two common web programming languages
- Demonstrated ability to perform operational process analysis and
translate into systems requirements and specifications.
- Familiarity with selecting, installing and maintaining open-source
- Ability to innovate to find optimal systems solutions to meet usersí
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently, to set and meet
deadlines and to adapt to new and changing situations, priorities and
- Excellent working knowledge of technology and overall IT environment.
- Proficiency in application development.
- Initiative, energy, enthusiasm, and commitment to supporting the
academic and research needs of students and faculty in a liberal arts
university through high quality customer service.
- Excellent and effective communication (oral and written),
organizational, analytical, problem solving, and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain productive working
relationships with a diverse employee and user community of faculty,
students, staff and administrators.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and
collaboratively, within a collegial environment.
- Strong user-centered commitment to information technology, public
service and user satisfaction.
Job location: Winston-Salem, NC
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
Benefits Eligibility: Available at full-time University sponsored rates
Salary Grade: ISP
Scheduled Hours: 8:30a.m.-5:00p.m.
Number of months per year: 12
Hiring Range: Commensurate with qualifications. Please Visit Wake Forest HR
website for salary ranges.
Number of hours per week: 37.5
Position Closing Date: September 2, 2011 - 5:00p.m.
Susan Sharpless Smith
Director of Research, Instruction & Technology Services
Z. Smith Reynolds Library
PO Box 7777
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem, NC 27109