(With apologies for cross-posting)
JOB TITLE: University Systems Librarian (University Library Systems
Manager - 2 Specialty Positions)
JOB ID: 4555
LOCATION: Central Office
FULL/PART TIME: Full-Time
Manages one or more aspects of the University's Library technology and
- Analyzes, specifies, and implements systems improvements and processes
- Conducts design and setup activities supporting University-wide Library
systems and databases; assists in implementing upgrades and new systems
- Develops and manages procedures related to quality assurance for
University Library systems; revises and maintains complex configuration
- Monitors Library applications and databases
- Creates, prepares, and analyzes reports on systems activities
- Works collaboratively with the Office of Library Services, Computer
Information Services, library staffs, and vendors to refine workflows and
develop useful systems tools
- Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB TITLE NAME: University Library Systems Manager
CONTRACT TITLE: Higher Education Associate
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Office of Library Services (OLS) supports the libraries at CUNY's 20
campuses and works with campus librarians to coordinate and enhance
library services to faculty and students. The Office has two University
Systems Librarian positions available reporting to the University Dean for
Libraries and Information Resources. Both positions will provide critical
specialized support to the integrated CUNY-wide library information
infrastructure, systems and services supporting curricula.
WEB & MOBILE SPECIALITY:
This position focuses on developing, planning, implementing, and managing
new web and mobile-based library services and products; integrating library
systems and other CUNY and local campus services; integrating cloud
services and other systems/services outside of Aleph such as link resolvers,
federated search, interlibrary loan, Drupal-based campus support site, and
performing ad-hoc scripting, and report writing.
ALEPH 500 SYSTEM SPECIALITY:
This position focuses on managing the University's primary library software
system, Aleph 500 by Ex Libris; working with the Office of Library Services
team and staff members from campus libraries to plan and perform system
configuration changes and related technical administration tasks; managing
release, version upgrades, and system patches, and testing, documenting
and implementing software and table configuration changes.
OTHER KEY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR BOTH POSITIONS INCLUDE, BUT WILL
NOT BE LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Manages CUNY library systems that support automated functions such as
the acquisition, cataloging and circulation of library materials.
- Manages the batch processes for loading various records into the library
database as a part of maintaining CUNY's integrated library system.
- Participates in implementing new systems and upgrading existing ones.
- Participates in developing and implementing library discovery and reporting
tools enabling effective searching, retrieval, and delivery of local and remote
- Coordinates the inter-campus library processes, troubleshoots library
system problems, and acts as a resource for campus librarians.
- Manages and trains staff as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree and six years' related experience required; MLS degree
and/or Master's in a related field may be substituted for a portion of the
The successful candidate will have the following knowledge, skills,
abilities/competencies, and professional attributes:
- ALA Master's Degree in Library or Information Science is strongly preferred
and may be accepted for up to two years of the required six years of
- Experience with library systems, library desktop applications, circulation,
serials, cataloging and acquisitions workflow, as well as integrated library
systems and bibliographic utilities (OCLC)
- Proficiency using software programs/products associated with library
functions, including experience maintaining and supporting library automated
systems and resources (i.e., Aleph, Metalib, SFX, EZProxy, ILLiad, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems, Apache, and
- Strong analytical and technical problem-solving skills for complex
- Knowledge of computer programming and Web and mobile-based resources
- Familiarity with Oracle, Sun Solaris operating system, SQL, and knowledge
of the MARC format for bibliographic and authority records
- Ability to master new technologies and remain current on traditional and
electronic library service trends
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills to work effectively
and collaboratively with a diverse community of learners, students, faculty
and staff in a large centralized public university system
- Strong detail orientation, customer focus, excellent writing and
organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple competing
- Demonstrated ability to work with people with varying levels of technology
computer skills, as well as to make technology understandable to the
$55,602 - $88,418; commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible
dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered
pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a
weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits.
Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY:
Upload a cover letter* and résumé as ONE DOCUMENT in the RESUME FIELD.
*In your cover letter, specifically indicate the library specialty for which you
are applying, and describe your work experience as directly related to that
specialty, as well as the essential general and campus specific duties of this
September 19, 2011
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY:
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively
encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to
apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek
excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.