The Boston Public Library is accepting applications for the Web Services
Developer position. The successful candidate will develop and maintain the
public and staff-side web portal for a digital object repository that will
be used by Massachusetts libraries, archives, historical societies, and
museums to store, make discoverable, and deliver digital resources to
users across the State and beyond. Competitive benefits. Salary: $62,053
- 83,770, DOQ.
* Bacheloršs Degree in an Information Technology field from an
accredited institution with a focus on programming, web
development/design, and scripting languages.
* An Associatešs Degree or higher degree in another field plus 4 years
programming experience in a library setting may be substituted in lieu of
* Degree or coursework in Library/Information Science preferred.
* Experience working in a library environment preferred.
* A minimum of 3 years of significant experience developing and
maintaining database-driven web applications.
* Thorough knowledge of and experience with web technologies including
(X)HTML, DOM, CSS, XML, XSLT, and RSS.
* Experience developing and coding interactive web applications using
* Experience in web programming frameworks such as JQuery, Zend, Rails,
and/or other AJAX-compliant services.
* 3 years experience with relational database modeling on systems such
as MySQL, Sybase ASE, and MS SQL Server.
* Demonstrated familiarity and comfort working in UNIX/Linux and Windows
operating systems, related software, and basic system administration
* Significant experience working in LAMP and/or WAMP stacks, preferably
on virtualized and/or cloud-computing platforms. Experience with Apache
Tomcat and Geronimo desirable.
* Experience in web programming frameworks such as PHP, Rails, or Django.
* Familiarity with an object-oriented programming language such as Ruby,
Python, or Java is highly desirable.
* Demonstrated project management experience.
Requirements Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as
required by the job
Residency Must be a resident of the City of Boston upon the first day of
CORI Must successfully clear a Criminal Offenders Record Information
check with the City of Boston
Complete job description and application available at:
Deadline for application: October 9, 2011
In compliance with Federal and State Equal Employment Laws, Equal
opportunity will be afforded to all applicants regardless of race, color,
sex, age, religious creed, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual
orientation, marital status, ex-offender status, prior psychiatric
treatment or military status.
Web Services Manager
Boston Public Library
[log in to unmask]