DIRECTOR OF DIGITAL INITIATIVES
The J. Murrey Atkins Library at The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is seeking a Director of Digital Initiatives. Atkins Library's Digital Initiatives Department is responsible for drawing the Library's digital presence into ever greater alignment with the campus research and teaching needs, and with University IT strategic planning.
UNC Charlotte's Atkins Library is a comprehensive research library with over 42,000 serial titles and an annual budget of over $10 million. The Director of Digital Initiatives is a new position, reporting to the University Librarian, and supervising a growing staff of at least seven. The Digital Initiatives unit is focused primarily (though not exclusively) on building innovative, library-oriented software, and integrating library content into complimentary learning systems. This position also works closely with the University's colleges and its Information Technology Services unit to conceptualize and coordinate efforts to create systems that advance the academic mission of the University. The position also represents the Library to external constituencies in regard to information technology
* Master's degree in Computer Science or Information Systems
* Minimum of five (5) years of related experience
* Experience with the management of units that invent, develop, and integrate digital library software or comparable higher education-based systems
* A demonstrated record of managing innovative and effective learning and research technology services for a diverse community of learners and researchers
* Strong communication skills including writing and presenting for a variety of audiences is essential
* Competency in analysis, budgeting and planning, assessment and evaluation, and service management
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
* Aligning Digital Initiatives strategy, services and investment decisions with the research and education priorities of campus-wide departments, as well as the university IT strategic plan;
* Overseeing budgeting, resource planning processes and staff development programs within the Digital Initiatives Department;
* Supervising the development and integration of digital products and services in support of campus-wide teaching and research;
* Representing the Library in regard to information technology issues, serving as liaison to librarians, teaching faculty, students, University colleagues, vendors, and partner institutions external to UNC Charlotte;
* Identifying opportunities for external funding of Library technology initiatives, and managing projects so funded;
* Participating on the campus-wide IT Management Team that sets organizational directions and priorities;
* Serving as the Data Security Officer for the Library, establishing and monitoring appropriate data security plans.
* Maintaining and sharing a broad awareness of emerging technologies and trends related to curriculum and research. Makes recommendations to the University Librarian as appropriate
DEPARTMENTAL PREFERRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, TRAINING/EDUCATION:
* Experience supervising applications development for academic institutions
* Successful experience in acquiring and managing substantial grant-funded projects
* Project management skills
* Familiarity with research library systems and functions
* Experience overseeing a broad portfolio of teaching and research support services that includes technology development, distance education support, learning management, high-performance and scientific computing and faculty development
Reports to the University Librarian
Excellent benefits package
Salary: Minimum $90,000 - competitive and dependent upon relevant experience and abilities.
ONLY ELECTRONIC APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED: https://jobs.uncc.edu/
(Search EPA Staff Vacancies - Position #8607)
The following Application Materials must be attached to your electronic submission:
Names (including titles and company/institutions), addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of at least 3 professional references. The Search Committee will not contact references without contacting the candidate first and verifying permission.
The review of applications will begin on October 17th, 2011, and continue until the position is filled. Anticipated start date is January 2, 2012. Appointment requires successful completion of background check. Members of minority groups, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply for this position. AA/EOE
For additional information about The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, please visit our Web site: http://www.uncc.edu.
For further details about Atkins Library, please consult our web site: http://library.uncc.edu.