LISTSERV mailing list manager LISTSERV 16.5

Help for NDSA-CONTENT Archives


NDSA-CONTENT Archives

NDSA-CONTENT Archives


NDSA-CONTENT@LISTS.CLIR.ORG


View:

Message:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

Font:

Proportional Font

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

NDSA-CONTENT Home

NDSA-CONTENT Home

NDSA-CONTENT  October 2011, Week 1

NDSA-CONTENT October 2011, Week 1

Subject:

Re: Minutes from Oct 5 call

From:

John L Faundeen <[log in to unmask]>

Reply-To:

The NDSA Content working group list <[log in to unmask]>

Date:

Fri, 7 Oct 2011 06:35:49 -0500

Content-Type:

text/plain

Parts/Attachments:

Parts/Attachments

text/plain (232 lines)

These look fine to me, Abbie.

John Faundeen, Archivist
U.S. Geological Survey
Earth Resources Observation and Science Center
47914-252nd Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57198 USA
Tel: 605-594-6092/Fax: [log in to unmask]
             https://profile.usgs.gov/faundeen
~Records Management - The systematic control of records throughout their 
lifecycle...ARMA.~



From:
"Grotke, Abigail" <[log in to unmask]>
To:
[log in to unmask]
Date:
10/06/2011 01:45 PM
Subject:
[NDSA-CONTENT] Minutes from Oct 5 call
Sent by:
The NDSA Content working group list 
<[log in to unmask]>



Hi all,
Draft minutes have been posted to the wiki   
http://www.loc.gov/extranet/wiki/osi/ndiip/ndsa/index.php?title=Content_WG_October_5,_2011_Meeting_Minutes 
 and below for quick reading.

Extra special thank you to Kristine who helped me take notes!
Abbie

-------------------------------------

DRAFT Wednesday, October 5, 2011 11:00 am ET

Attendees (21)

 *   Abrams, Brett | National Records and Archives Administration | 
[log in to unmask]
 *   Baker, Timothy D. | Maryland State Archives | [log in to unmask]
 *   Cornwall, Daniel | Alaska State Library | [log in to unmask]
 *   Downs, Robert | CIESIN, Columbia University | 
[log in to unmask]
 *   Faundeen, John, Archivist | U.S. Geological Survey | 
[log in to unmask]
 *   Grotke, Abbie | Web Archiving Team Lead, Library of Congress, and 
Co-Chair of the NDSA Content Working Group | [log in to unmask] | 202-707-2833 | 
@agrotke
 *   Hanna, Kristine | Internet Archive | [log in to unmask]
 *   Howard, Rachel | Digital Initiatives Librarian, University of 
Louisville | [log in to unmask]
 *   Kepley, David | NARA | [log in to unmask]
 *   Martin, Kevin | Hagley Museum and Library | [log in to unmask]
 *   McAninch, Glen | Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives | 
[log in to unmask]
 *   Moffatt, Christie | National Library of Medicine | 
[log in to unmask]
 *   Nicholson, Shawn | Assistant Director of Libraries| Michigan State 
University | [log in to unmask]
 *   Ogilvie, Kris | Digital Programs Consultant, California State Library 
| [log in to unmask]
 *   Rau, Erik | Hagley Museum and Library | [log in to unmask]
 *   Rossum, Deborah |Digital Content Manager| SCOLA |712-566-2202| 
[log in to unmask]
 *   Rumsey, Abby Smith | Library of Congress/NDIIPP | [log in to unmask]
 *   Simon, James | Center for Research Libraries | [log in to unmask]
 *   Stoller, Michael | New York University | [log in to unmask]
 *   Swanson, Rebecca | SCOLA | [log in to unmask]
 *   Weise, John | Manager of the Digital Library Production Service 
(DLPS) at the University of Michigan | [log in to unmask]

Registry Action Team

Danial and Kris reported out on the recent activities of the registry 
action team.

Started with ALA definitions, found some issues when we surveyed members, 
reluctance with those. So the group has been working on an improved 
checklist/levels of preservation. Kris O. took the lead on drafting new 
levels, and used labels: silver, gold and platinum with a check list so 
that members can self-identify as they are entering collections into 
registry. Kris walked through the various levels.

Note: Our platinum level is based on ALA definition. The others allow for 
those who haven't quite met those goals to participate in the registry. 
Upon review of the levels we realized

Kris O. has a few documents that she will send to the list and post to the 
wiki - please review and comment within a week. Will then share it with 
other groups in alliance so they will have a clearer idea of what will be 
registering.

The group recognizes there is some interaction that needs to happen with 
clearinghouse with "at risk" content. Differentiate between digitizing and 
digital preservation is also key and is covered with document Kris 
developed.

Michael S. suggest adding: "appropriate" intellectual property rights. 
Others agreed. As long as content provider has rights to preserve the 
content.

Glen asked, what other sources extracting information - consider ISO 
Auditing and Trac criteria? Fairly recent to establish a standard and 
looking for what organization will help implement. Kris O: Consulted a 
number of sources but we are thinking of this as more of a check list than 
an audit. Tried to leave it open enough that organizations could use it as 
works for them. Daniel agreed: the intention for this registry to be a 
self reporting one. Few resources for robust auditing program. Trust 
system. Alliance doesn't have the resources to audit/monitor - 
self-reporting is the only way we can see doing this.

John: are you seeing a spreadsheet for the levels? How will this be 
presented? Kris said how this will look is still to be determined by the 
CWG. Danial responded that it is up to the institution submitting 
collections to define what a collection will be. To qualify for a level, 
would need a collection to fill as many criteria as possible on the 
spreadsheet to keep a relatively simple display. But each collection could 
be at different levels of preservation.

Clearinghouse Action Team

Kristine reported that she and Cathy and Abbie had been discussing where 
to get next with the Clearinghouse work, how to tackle the next phase. An 
objective is to keep it low-barrier so that people will contribute. We 
want to provide a way to allow nominations of at-risk content and 
collections. Anyone should be able to nominate. It's up the submitters to 
determine what gets nominated - be it a specific object, or a collection, 
or what have you. So proposed for moving forward: 1) Create a simple 
checklist of what we mean by "at risk" to help submitters determine what 
should be added to the clearinghouse. 2) NDSA's strength is in its network 
- we as a community can help make connections between content in need of 
preservation and organizations who could help preserve. 3) Provide a tool 
for nomination. The outreach working group has been working with Omeka on 
a project to gather up stories about data loss. Maybe we could use 
something simple like that?

John F. mentioned a tool that might be useful that is being released soon 
from a data task group that he's involved with. UNC is working on it; 
maybe there could be another "view" for NDSA use? He will investigate 
whether it might be something we could adopt.

Abby R. asked about incentives for people to contribute and identify 
at-risk content - do they get something in return? How do we motivate 
people? We agreed these are all good questions that we have to sort out 
together.

Perhaps one element could be that the clearinghouse has the potential to 
help tell the baseline story of what's at risk, at a national level, to 
perhaps help generate press and funding (could LC or other federal 
institutions or IMLS use this to rally financial support for digital 
preservation?). And the Registry can help tell the story of what we are 
preserving.

Another incentive might be in documenting the condition of collections.

We talked about the need to link the two activities - perhaps there are 
links between the two that allow gaps in the Registry to be identified and 
made note of in the Clearinghouse. Perhaps organizations that don't meet 
the levels of preservation for the registry would self identify as in need 
of help with preservation in the clearinghouse. Much to still be 
determined.

Next steps: everyone agreed the approach outlined seems good. We will try 
to break the work down into discrete tasks that people can volunteer to 
help with: building the tool, doing out reach, drafting the text to help 
determine what's at risk, and so forth.

Abbie encouraged all to continue the discussion on the listserv.

Blog Preservation Action Team

Abbie and Kristine reported on the status of the blog preservation action 
team. They had a good meeting (minutes posted here: 
http://www.loc.gov/extranet/wiki/osi/ndiip/ndsa/index.php?title=Blog_Preservation
) with Andrew Nacin at Wordpress who is eager to help us develop something 
(whatever we want really) to enable preservation of blogs or opt in to 
preservation. There are some policy decisions to make still - LC will try 
to set up a meeting by early November to discuss those. Any interested 
NDSA members and others will be invited.

Web Archiving Survey

The Web Archiving Survey was launched this week (see blog post here: 
http://blogs.loc.gov/digitalpreservation/2011/10/take-our-web-archiving-survey/
). So far we've received about 25 responses. We got a few questions about 
it (answers posted to the blog post). Abbie encouraged members to fill out 
and spread the word.

Misc.

We had a few new members join the call and they introduced themselves:

David Kepley from NARA, Kevin Martin and Eric Rau from the Hagley Museum 
and Library, and Shawn Nicholson from Michigan State University. Welcome 
all!

Next Meeting

Our next call will be November 2 at 11am EST. Agenda and call details to 
be sent a few days prior.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Abbie Grotke | Web Archiving Team Lead | Office of Strategic Initiatives
National Digital Information and Infrastructure Preservation Program | 
Library of Congress
http://www.loc.gov/webarchiving/ | http://www.digitalpreservation.gov<
http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/>
202-707-2833 | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | @agrotke


############################

To unsubscribe from the NDSA-CONTENT list:
write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link:
http://list.digitalpreservation.gov/SCRIPTS/WA-DIGITAL.EXE?SUBED1=NDSA-CONTENT&A=1




############################

To unsubscribe from the NDSA-CONTENT list:
write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link:
http://list.digitalpreservation.gov/SCRIPTS/WA-DIGITAL.EXE?SUBED1=NDSA-CONTENT&A=1

Top of Message | Previous Page | Permalink

Advanced Options


Options

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password


Search Archives

Search Archives


Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe


Archives

June 2021
May 2021
April 2021
March 2021
February 2021
January 2021
September 2020
June 2020
February 2019
May 2018
March 2018
February 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014, Week 2
March 2014, Week 1
March 2014
February 2014, Week 4
February 2014, Week 2
February 2014, Week 1
January 2014, Week 4
January 2014, Week 3
January 2014, Week 2
January 2014, Week 1
December 2013, Week 1
November 2013, Week 2
November 2013, Week 1
October 2013, Week 5
October 2013, Week 3
October 2013, Week 2
September 2013, Week 5
September 2013, Week 4
September 2013, Week 3
August 2013, Week 5
August 2013, Week 4
August 2013, Week 3
August 2013, Week 2
August 2013, Week 1
July 2013, Week 5
July 2013, Week 4
July 2013, Week 3
July 2013, Week 2
July 2013, Week 1
June 2013, Week 3
June 2013, Week 2
June 2013, Week 1
May 2013, Week 4
May 2013, Week 3
May 2013, Week 2
May 2013, Week 1
April 2013, Week 5
April 2013, Week 4
April 2013, Week 3
April 2013, Week 2
April 2013, Week 1
March 2013, Week 5
March 2013, Week 2
March 2013, Week 1
February 2013, Week 3
February 2013, Week 2
January 2013, Week 5
January 2013, Week 4
January 2013, Week 3
January 2013, Week 2
December 2012, Week 1
November 2012, Week 5
November 2012, Week 3
November 2012, Week 2
November 2012, Week 1
October 2012, Week 5
October 2012, Week 4
October 2012, Week 1
September 2012, Week 3
September 2012, Week 2
September 2012, Week 1
August 2012, Week 5
August 2012, Week 4
August 2012, Week 2
August 2012, Week 1
July 2012, Week 5
July 2012, Week 3
July 2012, Week 1
June 2012, Week 3
June 2012, Week 2
June 2012, Week 1
May 2012, Week 2
May 2012, Week 1
April 2012, Week 4
April 2012, Week 3
April 2012, Week 2
April 2012, Week 1
March 2012, Week 4
March 2012, Week 3
March 2012, Week 2
March 2012, Week 1
February 2012, Week 2
February 2012, Week 1
January 2012, Week 5
January 2012, Week 4
January 2012, Week 3
January 2012, Week 2
January 2012, Week 1
December 2011, Week 5
December 2011, Week 3
December 2011, Week 2
December 2011, Week 1
November 2011, Week 3
November 2011, Week 1
October 2011, Week 5
October 2011, Week 3
October 2011, Week 2
October 2011, Week 1
September 2011, Week 5
September 2011, Week 4
September 2011, Week 3
September 2011, Week 2
September 2011, Week 1
August 2011, Week 4
August 2011, Week 3
August 2011, Week 1
July 2011, Week 4
July 2011, Week 3
July 2011, Week 2
July 2011, Week 1
June 2011, Week 4
June 2011, Week 2
June 2011, Week 1
May 2011, Week 5
May 2011, Week 1
April 2011, Week 4
April 2011, Week 3
April 2011, Week 2
April 2011, Week 1
March 2011, Week 5
March 2011, Week 1
February 2011, Week 2
February 2011, Week 1
January 2011, Week 3
January 2011, Week 2
January 2011, Week 1
December 2010, Week 3
December 2010, Week 2
December 2010, Week 1
November 2010, Week 3
November 2010, Week 2
November 2010, Week 1
October 2010, Week 5
October 2010, Week 4
October 2010, Week 2
September 2010, Week 4
September 2010, Week 3
September 2010, Week 2
September 2010, Week 1
August 2010, Week 5

ATOM RSS1 RSS2



LISTS.CLIR.ORG

CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager