[The following is being forwarded upon request. --ELM]
Head of Systems Librarian -- Milner Library, Illinois State University:
This position is responsible for planning, implementing, overseeing, and evaluating the services, projects, systems, and other resources of the Web Services and End-User Systems Department, which include the operations normally described as information technology and systems. In support of the teaching, learning, research, and service needs across the university, the person in this position manages all aspects of library information technology as deployed or planned at Illinois State University. This person works in collaboration with other individuals and groups in the library, on campus, and beyond on systems projects.
* Master's degree in library/information science from an ALA-accredited institution.
* A second advanced degree is required for tenure.
* Three to five years of experience with library and information technology systems development, project management, and support within a medium or large organization.
* Demonstrated ability to plan, manage, and oversee complex projects, meet deadlines, and prioritize work in alignment with the service goals of the department, library, and university.
* Progressively responsible information technology and systems management experience.
* Knowledge of current practices and opportunities in library systems and information technology.
* Knowledge of information technology security, redundancy, and recovery issues.
* Strong commitment to meeting the needs of users and diverse user groups in a rapidly changing academic library environment.
* Ability to supervise, motivate, and develop staff, with a strong commitment to staff development.
* Ability to interact effectively with faculty, students, and staff from diverse cultural backgrounds.
* Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a collegial, team- and project-based work environment and maintain positive professional working relationships.
* Proficient organization skills, including, but not limited to, planning and budgeting.
* Strong written and oral communication skills.
* IT experience in an academic library or at a library with a comparable technology infrastructure.
* Working knowledge of the system administration aspects of the major components of an integrated library system (preferably Voyager from Ex Libris Group), or a similar integrated system/service.
* At least three years of supervisory experience.
* Demonstrated experience in systems analysis and design.
* Familiarity with content management systems and the technical aspects of institutional repositories.
* Familiarity with licensing and purchasing agreements.
* A record of flexibility, creativity, and commitment to diversity.
* Demonstrated potential to meet university promotion and tenure requirements.
University and Library: As Illinoisí oldest public university, Illinois State University offers an outstanding education to 18,500 undergraduates in 35 disciplines, and 2,500 graduate students in diverse masterís and doctoral programs. Illinois State is located in Normal/Bloomington, a growing community of 100,000 three hours from Chicago and Indianapolis and four hours from St. Louis. Milner Library supports ISUís academic programs with a service-focused staff of 100, an institutional budget of nearly $7 million, and a collection of over 1.6 million volumes. Milner Library is woven into the fabric of the campus at every level, appearing repeatedly in the campus strategic plan, the campus facilities plan, and ISU capital campaign plan Ė all evidence of ISUís commitment to excellence in its library.
Salary and Benefits: Salary starting at $60,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. 24 days vacation and 11 paid holidays per year.
Position Available: January 3, 2012
To Apply: To assure full consideration submit a cover letter, resume, and names of 3 references to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or mail to: Systems Librarian Search Committee, Illinois State University, Milner Library, Campus Box 8900, Normal, IL 61790-8900 by December 15, 2011. Initial review of applications will begin then and continue until the position is filled.
Illinois State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action university encouraging diversity.