Programmer Analyst III (Manager, Web Operations)
From the above address, search openings -> STARS REQ number: 14736BR
Reporting to the Manager of Digital Library and Programming Services in the Library IT department, the Web Manager will provide vision, leadership and technical expertise for the continued development of the Library's web presence. The successful candidate will have a portfolio demonstrating web programming and web site architecture/design.
1. Develop, communicate and implement web policy, design best practice standards, style guides and required web page elements for the Library websites; makes recommendations for policy modifications.
2. Using Drupal CMS and/or other CMS, develop, design, maintain and enhance Web-based technology solutions for Yale Library; Evaluates existing web systems, researches possible changes, presents findings and works in conjunction with department/unit managers to determine web strategies.
3. Coordinate web content development schedules, evaluate web technology services, develop guidelines and standards, and manage the daily maintenance of assigned Library web sites; Establishes priorities and coordinates design changes.
4. Anticipate web trends, investigate their application to the academic library and develops new web-based services; research and implement new technologies such as HTML 5; Test and document web technology and application interfaces.
5. Evaluates departmental processes and needs to develop solutions for internal and external web presences.
6. Monitor and support quality assurance, including validation of web pages and compliance with web accessibility and ADA guidelines.
7. Work closely with Library programming staff and departments on the design and implementation of sophisticated database-driven web sites.
8. Manage complex projects involving vendors, technical and non-technical staff; including redesign of the Library website managing contracted web designers and conversion to a new content management system.
9. Work closely with the Library Usability and Assessment department in web interface statistical analysis and data gathering/web presentation activities using a combination of Google Analytics and Urchin reporting tools to review evidence about patron needs and behavior; Ensure web content is optimized for use and search engine indexing.
10. Manage evolution of and interface updates/enhancements to internal and external Library websites including the Library's homepage (www.library.yale.edu), Library Microsoft SharePoint Server 2007 implementation, more than 100 web applications written in languages including ASP, .NET, PHP and CGI-Perl, and other interfaces as assigned.
11. Interacts with external contacts such as vendors and their technical support personnel to obtain information on systems implementation, modification, and maintenance and peers in other institutions for technical development.
12. Advocate on behalf of the Yale Library in University web technology planning and policy development.
13. Monitor and support compliance with University IT security standards; Stay current with web security standards, principles, application and practices.
14. May be assigned additional responsibilities as required.
15. May supervise staff and/or student workers.
Required Education and Experience
1. Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a relevant area and five years of web content management/creation experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Demonstrated experience successfully developing medium to large-scale Web-based systems; Webmaster, Web developer and/or Web programming experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
3. Preferred: Master's Degree.
Additional Education and Experience
1. Two years of Content Management System development experience; experience implementing CMS.
2. Demonstrated experience with two or more of the following: ASP, JSP, .Net using C# or Visual Basic, Java and/or PHP.
4. Demonstrated experience in developing database driven web applications using Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server and/or MySQL.
5. Experience managing static and dynamic websites in a mixed server environment using UNIX, Macintosh and Windows servers running web server software including Apache/Tomcat and Microsoft IIS 6/7.
6. Preferred: Demonstrated experience with Microsoft .Net using C#; Experience with media streaming using Quicktime, Darwin or other streaming technology; Experience in CMS migration using Drupal.
Skills & Abilities
1. Excellent customer service skills.
2. Ability to plan and conduct training sessions for small and large groups.
3. Demonstrated ability to work with customers and vendors to design and document complex procedures.
4. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
5. Demonstrated initiative and self-direction.
6. Commitment to innovation, creativity, and excellence.
7. Excellent interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (orally and verbally).
8. Proven ability to work as a member of a highly collaborative team and to contribute to its leadership and creativity.
9. Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability to a rapidly-changing technical environment.
10. Strong organizational skills, including ability to quickly and efficiently prioritize workload to meet deadlines in an environment of multiple and changing priorities.
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Manager, Digital Library & Programming Services
Yale University Library