I know I'm asking for trouble, but I'd like to draw your attention to this
position sear at the Boston Public Library that has just been reopened.
The Boston Public Library has reopened its search for a Web Services
Developer. This person will develop, deploy, and maintain the web portal
for a digital repository serving Massachusetts libraries, archives,
historical societies, and museums. The position will work closely with a
Digital Repository Developer who will deploy and maintain the backend
repository, providing ample opportunity for collaboration with another
professional who possesses complimentary skills, as well as other members
of the web services team. In addition to portal development, the Web
Services Developer will contribute significantly to the extension of other
Boston Public Library web and mobile application services. Competitive
benefits. Salary: $62,053 - 83,770, DOQ.
* Bacheloršs Degree in an Information Technology field from an accredited
institution with a focus on programming, web development/design, or
* An Associatešs Degree or higher degree in another field plus 4 years
programming experience in a library setting may be substituted in lieu of
* Degree or coursework in Library/Information Science preferred.
* Experience working in a library environment preferred.
* A minimum of 3 years of significant experience developing and
maintaining database-driven web applications.
* Thorough knowledge of and experience with web technologies including
(X)HTML, DOM, CSS, XML, XSLT, and RSS.
* Experience developing and coding interactive web applications using
* Experience in web programming frameworks such as JQuery, Zend, Rails,
and/or other AJAX-compliant services.
* 3 years experience with relational database modeling on systems such as
MySQL, Sybase ASE, and MS SQL Server.
* Demonstrated familiarity and comfort working in UNIX/Linux and Windows
operating systems, related software, and basic system administration
* Significant experience working in LAMP and/or WAMP stacks, preferably on
virtualized and/or cloud-computing platforms. Experience with Apache
Tomcat and Geronimo desirable.
* Experience in web programming frameworks such as PHP, Rails, or Django.
* Familiarity with an object-oriented programming language such as Ruby,
Python, or Java is highly desirable.
* Demonstrated project management experience.
REQUIREMENTS Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as
required by the job
RESIDENCY Must be a resident of the City of Boston upon the first day of
CORI Must successfully clear a Criminal Offenders Record Information
check with the City of Boston
Complete job description and application available at:
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: January 20, 2012
In compliance with Federal and State Equal Employment Laws, Equal
opportunity will be afforded to all applicants regardless of race, color,
sex, age, religious creed, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual
orientation, marital status, ex-offender status, prior psychiatric
treatment or military status.
Web Services Manager
Boston Public Library
[log in to unmask]