Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

NDSA-INFRASTRUCTURE Home

NDSA-INFRASTRUCTURE  February 2012, Week 2

NDSA-INFRASTRUCTURE February 2012, Week 2

Re: Notes from the 1/31 Working Group Call

John Spencer <[log in to unmask]>

The NDSA infrastructure working group list <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:53:13 -0600

text/plain

I concur with Karen's (and Trevor's) comments below - there are different perspectives, at least based on my observations with our client constituency. Maybe if we did move the discussion upwards (less granularity, more inclusion) to 5 or so key points, we could be more open to each type of solution, thereby having a broader swath of options.

On the other hand, if open source solutions are the de-facto information that we want to disseminate, that certainly locks out a number of large commercial archive installations - they are invested (literally millions of dollars) in these deployments, and won't be changing over to open-source anytime soon (if ever).

One example off the top of my head is a record label that is "locked" into their current enterprise deployment - the archive is running on an "enterprise-class IT database", but many compromises have been made to accommodate the software, not the other way around - to me, that's a major concern. To the companies selling large IT database apps, it is an "inconvenience". That's not good from my perspective.

I wonder if we'll ever be in a position to always be up-to-date with respect to commercial solutions as opposed to open-source - while there are several good resources on the web that show the most current roster of open-source projects, there are no real equivalents with respect to commercial apps. I'm sure the "commercial" providers like to "manage the message", which is a distinct differentiator - marketing vs. reality.

I would like to add that one good way to "cull out" the commercial providers is to ask them about source-code escrow - we ran into that issue several times within the NARAS Deliverables document - commercial software at some level will always be a component of digital archiving, but some companies are more apt to agree to this than others. I think this is a decision point worthy of putting in our "top-level" guidelines.

John

John Spencer
www.bmschace.com
office 615.385.1251/ fax 615.385.0153
mobile 615.714.1199

On Feb 6, 2012, at 2:23 PM, Karen Cariani wrote:

> I think these are all great points.  I am a little concerned that we are
> spending a lot of time narrowing our scope.  I like Trevor's suggestion of
> the 5 key points as guidelines.  I'd like to see us start to generate a
> list of people to talk to and start scheduling those discussions.  I think
> issues will become more clearly defined as we have those discussions.
>
> Karen
>
> On 2/6/12 1:22 PM, "Owens, Trevor" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Andrea and Mark.
>>
>> Great points. I see the value of working toward a broader decision tree
>> that is not open source specific. At the same time I could see that
>> getting us away from the initial interest in Open Source too. I also see
>> some default value to scoping these kinds of things as tightly as we can
>> to make them more manageable.
>>
>> Does it help the situation if we think of what we would produce as
>> something other than a decision tree? What if instead it was something
>> like "5 key issues when considering open source software as part of
>> preservation and access infrastructure." In that case, we would still
>> focus in on the issues related to open source, but wouldn't necessarily
>> need to branch out into broader comparative issues.
>>
>> I would be interested to get more input from the group on this. What do
>> we think would be the most useful here? Further, what do we think is
>> tightly scoped enough in this case that it remains doable.
>>
>> Best, Trevor

>>> E: [log in to unmask], T: (1) 240 403-7502, C: (1) 240 401 6256,